Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: What tutoring is (and is not)

"Worden, Elizabeth" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 May 2012 19:36:37 +0000

text/plain

Alsace, I understand your confusion about this statement, as I am, among other things, the Coordinator of Disability Student Services, and I also am aware of the differences in what Federal Law requires for students with disabilities in High School vs such students in college.  In high school, students must receive a free and appropriate education, which includes accommodations, modifications to key course expectations, and personal assistants in the form of aides.  In college, student with a disability must receive access to their texts, classes, and tests that is equivalent, as close as possible to that had by students without a disability.  In so doing, we must provide accommodations which provide this access, but we do NOT provide modifications to key course expectations nor do we provide a personal assistant such as an aide or a tutor.  Certainly, a student with a disability may use a tutor at the tutoring center, but NOT because of the disability, but because they are a student and all students are eligible to use a tutor.

If a student wants help with the executive functioning challenges of time management, monitoring of homework, they certainly are welcome to hire someone to help them with these functions, but we do not provide such support as part of services to students with disabilities.  Equivalently, I have had students who needed an aide in the classroom to open books for them, pick up things they drop, etc, and these aides are provided by the student, not by the school.

I am puzzled by the extent of the services you provide for the student, Cristel.  Is it because the campus Disability Student Services office mandated these services?  Does your learning support services center also house the Disability Student Services office?  Do you coordinate Disability Services also?

Thank you for any clarification you want to provide to this particular puzzled reader!  :>)

Elizabeth Worden, Ph.D., Assistant Dean of Academic Support Services
Academic Support Center (ASC)
Eastern Maine Community College
354 Hogan Road
Bangor, ME  04401