Skip repetitive navigational links
Next (less recent) in topic | Previous (more recent) in topic
Next (less recent) by same author | Previous (more recent) by same author

Re: FYI

Susan Darrah <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 May 2012 18:54:40 -0400

text/plain

Nagging is clearly my job....

Susan Darrah
Assistant Academic Dean
Department of Language and Literature
Bucks County Community College
215-968-8152

On May 10, 2012, at 3:16 PM, "Norman Stahl" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Published on The Connecticut Mirror (http://www.ctmirror.org)
>
> Home > Lawmakers to colleges: no more semesters of remediation
>
> Lawmakers to colleges: no more semesters of remediation
>

> Jacqueline Rabe Thomas
>

> May 9, 2012
>
> A quarter of the students who enter a public college in Connecticut spend their first year taking only non-credit remedial courses. Some even spend two years.
> That may soon end, with the legislature overwhelmingly approving a bill that will, starting in the fall of 2014, restrict the circumstances that college officials can, and cannot, require students to spend time and money taking these courses.
> "As we slow them down, they are less likely to graduate," said Sen. Beth Bye, D-West Hartford, co-chairwoman of the Higher Education Committee.
> Bye and many other legislators have referred to these remedial courses as the colleges' Bermuda Triangle: Just 13.6 percent of the full-time students who take them actually earn an associate's degree in four years, twice the time it should take, reports the Board of Regents.
> "That status quo is not working. There is a fundamental problem... It needs to change," said Mike Meotti, a top official at the state's Board of Regents for Higher Education, whose colleges enroll 15,000 new students a year.
> The approved bill will limit remedial enrollment to one semester and requires more than a standardized entrance exam to determine who must take these non-credit courses. The test that many community colleges currently use was criticized in a recent report by researchers at Columbia University's Teachers College.
> "Placement tests do not yield strong predictions of how students will perform in college," the report reads.
> Professors at public universities have tried to kill the bill.
> "We are not on board with this," said Ellen Benson, an official for Connecticut State Universities' faculty union. Professors sent legislators a wave of emails outlining their concerns that restricting remedial education enrollment could land many students in courses they are not equipped to take.
> "It sets students up for failure," said Benson about the original proposal that would have eliminated all remedial courses. Faculty members still have significant concerns, she said, including how soon the changes will go into effect.
> But faculty concerns weren't enough to sway legislators. Just 15 of the 189 state representatives and senators voted against the bill. A spokesman for Gov. Dannel P. Malloy was unsure if the governor plans to sign the bill.
> Before the vote in the House late Friday, Rep. Mary M. Mushinsky, D-Wallingford, said she plans to support the bill because, "Remedial coursework is too much a barrier to earning a degree."
> [...]

June 2020
May 2020
April 2020
March 2020