Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Long-billed Curlew
From: Vincent P Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 16 May 2012 18:25:12 -0400

This morning, in my continuing Bird-A-Day quest, I visited Little
Estero Island Critical Wildlife Area in Ft. Myers beach, Lee County.
There wasn't much around except the more common shorebird species when
all of a sudden, a Long-billed Curlew flew in. I studied this bird for
over five minutes before it flew off. It may be the same one that has
been frequented Bunche Beach this past winter and in other years.
Prior to seeing this bird, I saw a Whimbrel foraging in the grass
along Estero Blvd. at Lovers Key State Park so the comparison these
birds was fresh in my mind. On the north side of Big Carlos Pass
behind the Island's End Condominiums on Ft. Myers Beach, there were no
less than 13 American Oystercatchers, 4 Snowy Plovers, several
Wilson's Plovers, one with a furball of a baby on stilts running
around as its mother whistled for it. There were also 45-50 Red Knots,
most in breeding plumage, a few Short-billed Dowitchers plus the usual
Willets, Sanderlings, one Least Sandpiper, Black-bellied &
Semipalmated Plovers, Ruddy Turnstones, Dunlin, etc. In addition to
the hordes of breeding Least Terns, there were two Common Terns
present as well as a somewhat late(?) Red-breasted Merganser on this
beach.

Good birding!

Vincent P. Lucas
Naples, FL