Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: "I'm back!" Or, never left? Scarlet Tanager, Bachman's Sparrows, Seminole County
From: Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 20 May 2012 14:57:52 -0700

At Wekiwa Springs State Park, Seminole County, there was a male Scarlet Tanager on May 14 and 15 and assumed it had migrated north, as it was MIA since the 15th.  Bank Swallows I had seen at that time also moved on.

Then today May 20, at the same exact spot, I see a male Scarlet Tanager singing loud and proud once again.

Question ...  how long is "normal" for a typical migrant passerine to linger?  I assume they may linger a day or so longer at a fallout location on the coast.  However, Seminole County is in the interior of the state and you would think migrants would not hang around at an interior location.  Could this be the same migrant here for one week?  Or, do you think it is a second male Scarlet Tanager that just happens to be in the same spot as the previous bird?

Short-tailed Hawks ... unlike South Florida where this species can be much more common, it is a treat to see them in this part of the state.  I saw my FOS Short-tailed Hawk yesterday in Lake County at Seminole State Forest.  Today at Wekiwa Springs, I saw two, one in a serious molting phase, then 15 minutes later, another.  The molting hawk went into a straight down stoop that was very exciting to see; it terminated on the other end of the tree line so I was unable to see the outcome.

The image of the Short-tailed Hawks shows them side-by-side so you can see the differences.

Summer Tanager male and female pair.  Backman's Sparrows near the Longleaf Pine Sandhills.  Eastern Towhee and Northern Parulas ... numerous.  Yellow-throated Vireo ... near the scrub restoration.  One White-eyed Vireo and two Red-eyed Vireos.
Territorial fight between two Red-headed Woodpeckers plus two teeny Wild Turkey chicks among a large clan.  Carolina Chickadees, Blue-grey Gnatcatchers, a low-flying Swallow-tailed Kite, four Sherman Fox Squirrels and your normal assortment of "usuals" for a large, multi-ecosystem parcel.   It was a very interesting day birding at Wekiwa Springs State Park.

I appreciate any feedback you give me regarding the male Scarlet Tanager questions.

Images ... You can click the set "Recent Images" or look at the first four images in the photostream.  Clicking an individual image enlarges it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robert-stalnaker/

* female Summer Tanager
* Red-headed Woodpecker
* side-by-side of the two Short-tailed Hawks
* Sherman's Fox Squirell

Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL