Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Re: Scott Simmons report Orlando Wetlands Park, 5/21/2012 (Orange Co)
From: Robert Stalnaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 21 May 2012 20:53:22 -0700

Re Scott Simmons report at Orlando Wetlands ...

Earlier in late winter/early spring when the Vermilion Flycatcher was present at Orlando Wetlands, we had seen two Crested Caracaras periodically.  The species had nested at Orlando Wetlands previously.  However, it seems that I have been hearing observers say they are seeing only one Caracara, if at all, for the last couple months.

Has anybody seen two Caracaras at that location recently, or know of any nesting?  Being that this location is in the "upper band" of its nothern range, it would be nice if there could be nesting again at Orlando Wetlands.

Scott, very nice re the Least Bitterns.  I have heard other reports of big numbers at Viera Wetlands--don't know about other parts of Florida.  Does it seem like Least Bitterns are being seen more easily (or in greater numbers) than in years past, or is that just me?  I have never seen that species in numbers like this.  Maybe the rest of you have but this species has been playing hide and seek with me (and winning the game) for years.

Bob Stalnaker
Longwood, FL