]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  June 2012

SOCNET June 2012

Social Networks and Collaboration Mini-track HICSS Papers Due by Friday

Donald Steiny <[log in to unmask]>

Donald Steiny <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Jun 2012 22:49:26 -0700

text/plain

Call for Papers - Social networks and collaboration

HICSS '46 Minitrack

January 7-10 2012

Maui, Hawaii, USA

he Hawaiian International Conference for System Science (HICSS -
pronounced "hicks") is about to enter its 46th year. In 2012 there were
about 950 people in attendance . Systems Science covers a wide range of
fields: the electric power grid, cybercrime, health, law, software
development and much more. It is attended by scientists and scholars
from all over the world. Last year the friends I met and hung out with
the most were from Barahin, the Netherlands and Germany. Our track
accepted papers from Korea and China as well as Western countries. The
beautiful environment and frequent mixers allow participants to meet
people not only in their on field and of their own nationality, but
provides an opportunity to learn about exciting work that is going in
other fields and in places across the globe.

The call reflects the varied interests of the three track chairs. One
has more of a sociological background working with structural (network)
sociologists studying social construction, another is interested
cognitive psychology, mathematical networks and models and the third is
interested in persuasion, social influence, the semantic web as well as
social networks.

HICSS has provided a number of my long term collaborators and friends.
As a reviewer and mini-track chair I am told that if a paper is not
technically perfect but exciting I should take it anyway. HICSS is not
just about vetting papers like sausages, though the quality of feedback
from reviewers is excellent, it is a place where real growth and
discovery takes place. If you have a new and exciting idea related to
human interaction and what it means to us, some new way to gather data
about it using the on-line sources we have or have gathered the data by
observation or other means this track will be a fun place to share your
ideas and get feedback on them.

Important Dates:

Full Paper Submission: June 15, 2012

Author Notification: August 15, 2012

Final Version Submission and Registration: September 15, 2012

Conference: January 7-10, 2013

We invite papers that use social networks to help understand human
behaviour by using network theory andanalysis to study and model human
groups (teams, organizations, societies and individuals. We are
interested in empirical papers that observe or visualize social relation
and social graphs;theoretical papers that simulate society through
software, design research that addresses social network based software
and information systems; papers that use social networks to gain insight
into human behaviour and other papers with empirical studies of social
influence.

We are particularly open to papers that explore unusual ways of
modelling social networks: models that demonstrate or reflect the
influence of social systems on user behaviors, models that consider the
multiple connections between people, technology, and institutions,
models that break personal identity into sub-relations, and models that
examine the emergence of roles, identity, and institutions.We are
interested in applying the network sociology of Mark Granovetter,
Harrison White, Charles Tilly and related scholars to information systems.

With respect to content, the track is open to analysis of collective
intelligence websites, new knowledge creation, collaboration, persuasive
technology, analysis of social graphs, organizational analysis,
crowdsourcing as well as ad hoc social networks formed in response to
pressing social needs, e.g. in the area of health and wellbeing. Thus
the track is open to a wide range of content areas that lend themselves
to the analysis of relations.

Topics we are interested include, but are not limited to:

·Collective intelligence websites (multimode interaction, like wikis)

·New knowledge creation

·Web collaboration (wikis, Skype, blogs, Facebook and social media in
general)

·Other collaboration (Notes, ERM and other proprietary systems)

·Applications of SNA

·New methods of SNA

·Novel insights from analysis of social networks and social graphs

·Crowdsourcing

·Social networks and identity

·Social networks and cognition

·Social networks an organizations

·Networks and influence (persuasive technology)

·Ad hoc social networks formed in response to pressing social needs,
e.g. in the area of health and wellbeing.

Thus the track is open to a wide range of content areas that lend
themselves to the analysis of relations.

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Authors submit full papers by June 15. Follow the Author Instructions to
be found on the HICSS web site (http://www.hicss.org), as deadlines
approach. All papers will be submitted in double column publication
format and limited to 10 pages including diagrams and references.
Authors of accepted papers submit Final Version of paper by September
15. At least one author of each accepted paper must register by
September 15 with specific plans to attend the conference.

Authors may contact Minitrack Chairs for guidance and indication of
appropriate content at anytime.

Minitrack organizers:

Donald F. Steiny (Primary Contact)

University of Oulu, Department of Information Processing Science

Rakentajantie 3, 90570 Oulu, Finland

US Address: 251 Webster St, Palo Alto, CA 94301

Departmental phone: +358-8-553-1900

Departmental fax: +358-8-553-1890

Direct phone: +1-650-646-5368

Email: [log in to unmask]

Harri Oinas-Kukkonen

University of Oulu, Department of Information Processing Science

Rakentajantie 3, 90570 Oulu, Finland

Direct phone: +358-8-553-1914

Departmental phone: +358-8-553-1900

Departmental fax: +358-8-553-1890

Email: [log in to unmask]

Jeffrey Nickerson

Mailing address: Stevens Institute of Technology

Castle Point on Hudson

Hoboken, NJ 07030

Direct phone: 201 216 8124

Email: [log in to unmask]