]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  July 2012, Week 3

FLORIDABIRDS-L July 2012, Week 3

Pelagic Trip Report. July 15. Ponce de Leon Inlet

Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>

Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:23:54 -0400

text/plain

Pelagic Trip Bird List and Trip Report
July 15, 2012

Thirty-eight intrepid adventurers joined our leaders for an 18 hour adventure across the Gulf Stream on Sunday, July 15. We were heading out of Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County, Florida aboard the Pastime Princess. Leaving at 3:30 a.m., the excited group settled in to try to get some rest before first light. As dawn broke, we found ourselves in moderate seas at 3-4 feet and a fresh breeze at 10 about knots out of the Southeast.

This part of the trip is always quiet and we found an occasional Cory’s Shearwater and Wilson’s Storm-Petrel.  There was no Sargassum weedline on the west edge of the Gulf Stream, so we continued on to the heart of the Gulf Stream. We met more Cory’s and an occasional Great Shearwater and storm-petrel. Excitement mounted as an adult Sooty Tern appeared. Soon, we began to find more birds and denser concentrations of Cory’s and Great Shearwaters and Wilson’s Storm-Petrels.  The west edge of the Gulf Stream was at 40 miles out and we usually find our first Black-capped Petrel at 60 miles out, in the middle of the Gulf Stream. Today was no exception when at 58 miles, our first Black-capped Petrel appeared. This was one of the white-faced types. Black-capped Petrels appear to have two distinctive color types – the white-faced type and the dark-faced type. In addition, there are also birds that are intermediate in plumage. These may represent two, or perhaps more, distinct species. The white-faced birds generally show a more advanced molt cycle by about 1 month. Most of the birds that we found on Sunday were white-faced birds, but we did see at least one dark-faced bird. We had a total of 8 Black-capped Petrels.

Storm-petrels were attracted to our chum slick and soon we had excellent looks at numerous Wilson’s Storm-Petrels and classic views of a Leach’s Storm-Petrel’s “nighthawk-like” flight. We also had great looks at the robust, measured flight of Band-rumped Storm-Petrel.

As we made our way farther out, we found larger groups of Sooty Terns and flock of shearwaters. Groups of 15 or more shearwaters were on the water and even a Black-capped Petrel sat for us on the surface. The Cory’s Shearwaters outnumbered the Great Shearwaters about 2:1.  Bridled and Sooty Terns gave us many good looks. A huge container ship passed by and we found a very distant juvenile Brown Booby traveling with it.

Periodically, we found small flocks of shorebirds on migration. Most were not identifiable, although at least one group of three birds was Greater Yellowlegs. We also were surprised to flush a 2nd year Pomarine Jaeger off the water. It was also unusual to find so few Audubon’s Shearwaters. Perhaps the lack of Sargassumweed provided less favorable feeding. For whatever reason, the normally frequently seen Audubon’s Shearwaters were not in evidence, and we only found 4 individuals and then only on the return trip.

One of the most exciting finds was not even a bird, but a rare dolphin called the Clymene Dolphin. It jumped clear of the water, giving us excellent looks. This dolphin was described as a separate species as recently as 1981, when it was split apart from the Spinner Dolphin.  Recent work on the genetics of this animal is showing that it is actually more closely related to the Striped Dolphin.  This is an animal of deep subtropical and tropical Atlantic waters, usually 800 – 16,000 feet deep. We found the dolphin in about 1,000- 1,500  foot deep water, so it was in water on the shallow end of its normal habitat.  The dolphin had a very distinctive black tip to the rostrum, a white mark on the side of the rostrum and a black edges to the mandibles. It had a pinkish wash to the underside and a beautiful subdued pattern along the sides. It had a moderately falcate dorsal fin rather than the more triangular dorsal of a Spinner Dolphin. This was a small dolphin, only about 6 feet long. This was a life mammal for everyone aboard.  The United States population of the Clymene Dolphin is separated into a Gulf of Mexico population and a Western Atlantic population. The total population in the waters of the Western Atlantic is only about 3-6,000 individuals and the Gulf of Mexico population is estimated at 10,500 – 17,500 individuals, according the NOAA Fisheries Office of Protected Resources.

Bird List
Black-capped Petrel    8
Cory’s Shearwater    45
Great Shearwater    20
Audubon’s Shearwater    4
Wilson’s Storm-Petrel   55
Leach’s Storm-Petrel    3
Band-rumped Storm-Petrel    3
Brown Booby   1
Greater Yellowlegs    3
Sandpiper species    20
Pomarine Jaeger    1
Bridled Tern     12
Sooty Tern    25

It was a fantastic trip with lots of great birds and about 25 people found life birds on the day, and several people found as many as 9 life birds on the trip. We traveled out to about 80 miles offshore and remained the whole time in Volusia County waters. We were finding so many birds that we did not make it out as far as I had planned, but we did have great luck find good numbers and variety of pelagic species.

Thanks to all of the leaders and the participants for making it such a great adventure.

Our next pelagic trip will be on Sunday, September 16.