FW: Volunteer Opportunity - GRU Science Fair Mentors!

"Mckee,Kathleen A" <[log in to unmask]>

Mckee,Kathleen A

Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:31:35 +0000

text/plain

From: Wetlands Club [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Anna Normand
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2012 1:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Volunteer Opportunity - GRU Science Fair Mentors!

My name is Robin Baxley and I coordinate many of the educational outreach programs for the city's utility, Gainesville Regional Utilities.  I will appreciate it if you will share this volunteer opportunity with the members of your respective student organizations.  Thank you!****

** **

** **

GRU Science Fair Mentors****

** **

Gainesville Regional Utilities is seeking volunteers for our Science Fair Mentor program.  We need students with a strong science or engineering background to spend 2  hours, one day per week helping a middle school student with their science fair project.  Our goal is to engage average children and give them the confidence and desire to pursue study of and careers in science and/or engineering fields. ****

** **

Volunteers will be paired with a student who wants to participate in science fair but may not have a strong aptitude for science or who simply needs help and encouragement to do their best work.  The assignment will begin the week of September 24th and continue through the first week of December. You may choose any day, Monday-Friday, but must attend the same
day each week from 4:15-5:45 PM.   You will work under the supervision of a
classroom teacher.  Most volunteers will be assigned to Lincoln Middle School, but may be assigned to another school depending upon the number of volunteers who sign up.****

** **

This year volunteers will also have the option of assisting students with the Model Water Tower competition.  You may have the opportunity to assist your assigned student with both science fair and model water tower.  More information regarding the Water Tower competition will be given at
orientation.****

** **

You will be required to complete an Alachua County Schools volunteer application (which I will supply).  A short orientation will be held at the assigned school on your first day.  For more information regarding this opportunity or to sign up, contact Robin Baxley at *[log in to unmask]* or 352-393-1032.  The deadline to apply is September 17th.****

** **

Robin Baxley****

Sr. Executive Assistant****

Gainesville Regional Utilities****