Help for RECMGMT-L Archives

RECMGMT-L Archives

Subject: Re: Insuring priceless records?
From: John Montana <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Sep 2012 17:43:09 -0400

Larry Medina wrote:
> I think the question would be how do you tell an insurer what the value is?

Agreed on all points.  There's be a good deal of back and forth on the
real value and current condition of the contents, and then a lot of
discussion of the conditions of transport and storage as well, since
that would materially affect risk also.  But I would bet that the
service provider has a standard limitation of liability clause in their
contracts that limits damages to some liquidated and relatively nominal
amount, so at the end of the day, you either bear most of the risk
yourself or buy what might be a pricy insurance policy.  On the other
hand, it might be relatively cheap -- I've purchased an assortment of
malpractice and E&O policies over the years, and a couple of million
dollars' worth of coverage wasn't all that pricey, so if they're
satisfied that the conditions of transport and storage are good, and if
the film is really that valuable, it might be a good and relatively
inexpensive investment.

Best regards,

John
John Montaņa