Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  December 2012, Week 4

FLORIDABIRDS-L December 2012, Week 4

Mysterious Gull at Vista 8 of Canaveral National Seashore

Scott Simmons <[log in to unmask]>

Scott Simmons <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:41:53 -0500

text/plain

My father and I found a very light gull flying over vista 8 at the
Canaveral National Seashore. It was about the same size as a couple
Ring-billed Gulls we saw there, the tops of the wings were light grayish
with no black at the tips of the wings--in fact, the tips were not much
darker than the top of the wings. The head and tail were both white. My
father and I both think it looks just like what's shown as an adult winter
Iceland Gull in my Sibleys and Crossleys guides.

I have never seen this species before, and we didn't have our cameras ready
for photos, though thankfully we had binoculars out. I don't want to log
it without checking with others first. Does this description fit Iceland
Gull and rule out other species?

As best I can tell, since the size was about the same as the Ring-billed
Gulls that were there, it can't be a Glaucous Gull, and the wing tips were
not dark enough for Thayers.

Thanks for any assistance,

Scott Simmons
Winter Park, FL