Date: February 7, 2013
To: All UF Graduate Students
Cc: All UF Graduate Coordinators and Staff
From: UF Center for Latin American Studies
RE: March 11: Deadline to Apply for UF LAS and TCD Grants
Center for Latin American Studies Field Research Grants
The Center for Latin American Studies (LAS) sponsors a Field Research Grant Competition to support graduate student research in Latin America and the Caribbean. Research in the United States on a Latino Studies topic and research in Spain or Portugal on some aspect of Latin America are also supported. Awards are typically between $500 and $2,000 each, depending on travel costs to the research site, the availability of funds, and whether the recipient has received research funding from other sources. Funding can be used for international travel, in-country travel, lodging, meals, and other research-related expenses.
The Center's Field Research Competition is made possible by the Tinker Foundation, the Boonstra Family Research Fellowship, the William Carter Fellowship, the Carol French Doughty Memorial Fund, the Panama Canal Museum Research Fund, the Charles Wagley Research Fellowship, and the A. Curtis Wilgus Fellowship.
* The competition is open to graduate students from across the University of Florida campus. Priority will be given to applicants pursuing a Graduate Certificate or a M.A. in Latin American Studies.
* Due to the number of applications, only one grant can be awarded per student per degree.
* Support is available for Master's thesis research and preliminary doctoral dissertation field visits (Ph.D. students who have advanced to candidacy are NOT eligible).
* Recipients must spend at least two weeks in the field. In most cases, recipients spend between 4 to 6 weeks in the field.
* Students should plan to complete their field work by the end of this year's fall semester.
* International students should be aware that their grants may be taxed at the rate of 30%. US residents and citizens should be aware that receipt of a grant may affect federal financial aid eligibility.
* Students proposing to do research related to environmental conservation or sustainable development are not eligible to apply and should instead apply to the Tropical Conservation and Development (TCD) Field Research Grant Program: http://www.tcd.ufl.edu/field_research_grant.shtml.
The following materials are required:
* A completed Application Form: http://www.latam.ufl.edu/Funding/Content/Applications/centerfrgapp.pdf.
* A completed Budget Form: http://www.latam.ufl.edu/Funding/Content/budgetform08.pdf.
* UF Transcript (unofficial copy OK)
* One letter of recommendation from the student's adviser (or suitable substitute), accompanied by the Release Form: http://www.latam.ufl.edu/Funding/Content/ferparelease.pdf.
* An abstract of no more than 250 words explaining the project in non-technical language.
* A proposal of no more than 4 single-spaced pages (a one-page bibliography may be appended to the proposal). The proposal should specify the problem to be addressed, the proposed research objectives and methods, indicate prior preparation or previous related work undertaken, and should locate the proposed study within the relevant scholarly literature. The proposal should emphasize the feasibility of the project and explain the significance of the topic. The Center encourages proposals that cross disciplinary boundaries and have broad scholarly appeal. Candidates should keep in mind that the committee members will be drawn from diverse disciplines and are advised to craft their proposal in a way that is accessible to non-specialists.
* A timetable for the proposed research project. PhD level proposals should outline the overall dissertation project and specify the goals of this particular proposal.
March 11, 2013
!!ELECTRONIC SUBMISSION REQUIRED!! Please send documents:
* As a SINGLE PDF FILE
* With all the required documents in the SAME ORDER AS LISTED ABOVE * The RECOMMENDATION LETTER should be sent directly BY EMAIL to the contact below.
Information and Submission
Patricia Sampaio, Program Coordinator
343 Grinter Hall
PO Box 115530
Gainesville, FL 32611-5530
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
TCD Field Research Grants
TCD Field Research Grants support field research addressing the issues of habitat conservation and/or rural development in tropical regions at Master's and preliminary doctoral levels. Grants will average $2,000 each, but may vary depending on travel costs to the research site, the availability of funds, and whether the recipient has received research funding from other sources.
The TCD Field Research Grant is made possible by The Ford Foundation Endowment. TCD funds may be used for international travel, in-country travel, lodging, meals, and other research-related expenses.
International students should be aware that their grants may be taxed at the rate of 30%. US residents and citizens should be aware that receipt of a grant may affect federal financial aid eligibility.
Further information and application materials are available directly from the TCD Program's website: http://www.tcd.ufl.edu/field_research_grant.shtml.