Help for SOCNET Archives

SOCNET Archives

Subject: Re: concept of a network backbone in social networks: lit / discuss?
From: Jeff Hemsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Feb 2013 09:48:19 -0800

*****  To join INSNA, visit  *****

Thank you folks. I have some good refs and plenty to think about.

Sam: yes, I was thinking long-term interaction was important too.

David: Core / periphery makes sense as an alternate way to think about
it. Thanks.

Charles: When I didn't see "backbone" in the index of your book I sent
this mail out. I've read other SNA books in detail, but have as yet
only skimmed some of the sections of yours. This is a good excuse to
allocate some time. Any hints at where to look first?

Thank again everyone!

> On 2/24/2013 7:46 PM, Jeff Hemsley wrote:
> *****  To join INSNA, visit
>   *****
> I'm looking for literature that discusses the concept of a backbone
> for social networks. I know of one reference (below) and am lookingich
> for others.
> Alternately, what are your thoughts on the concept of a 'backbone' in
> a social network? What kinds of elements ought such a concept contain?
> How ought one measure it?
> Thank you,
> Jeff
> Kossinets, G., Kleinberg, J., & Watts, D. (2008). The structure of
> information pathways in a social communication network. In 14th ACM
> SIGKDD international conference on Knowledge discovery and data minin
> (pp. 435–443).

Jeff Hemsley
Doctoral Candidate
The Information School
University of Washington

network researchers ( To unsubscribe, send