Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  April 2013

SOCNET April 2013

CFP: SocialD@NetSci2013 - A conversation on social Dynamics

Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye <[log in to unmask]>

Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:57:47 -0400

text/plain

CFP: SocialD@NetSci2013 - A conversation on social Dynamics

When: June 4th
Where: NetSci - Copenhagen Danemark
How: Submit an abstract of no more than one page at
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sociald2013

Instead of a series of research papers, this workshop will foster a
dialogue around methodologies and best practices in computational social
science. We ask participants to present a 5 minute overview of research,
and then be prepared to discuss their ideas and experience around the
practice of data-driven research in the social sciences.

Understanding human behavior is one of the fundamental scientific
challenges of our day, drawing on fields as diverse biology, economics,
physics, and sociology. And the proliferation of passively-collected,
longitudinal behavior -from sources such as online communities, offline
purchases and cell phone calls, and international migrations- has opened
a new vantage point on social dynamics.

With this diversity of viewpoints, data, and practices, however, it is
important for this nascent community to gather to discuss methodologies
and best practices. The Social Dynamics workshop at NetSci 2013 aims to
enable this dialogue. We are looking for participants to present a
5-minute overview of their work and driving methodological perspectives,
in one of 4 themed sessions delving into the questions of how people
connect, interact, exchange information, and form communities. Each
session will include presentations and discussion led by panel members,
but open to all workshop participants. Our goal is to foster this
dialogue in the context of cutting-edge research around the theme of
social dynamics.

Panel themes and confirmed keynote participants
A. Modeling human behavior: Aaron Clauset, Marta Gonzalez
B. Economic behavior and networks: CÚsar Hidalgo
C. Networked experiments and predictions: Lada Adamic, Sandy Pentland
D. Spreading and social influence: Marcel Salathe, Sune Lehmann

Organizers
Yves-Alexandre de Montjoye (MIT)
Coco Krumme (MIT)
Chaoming Song (NEU)
Dashun Wang (NEU)

Submission Instructions
We ask interested participants to submit an abstract of no more than one
page, summarizing (1) research proposal for 5-minute talk (if interested
in being part of a panel) and (2) perspectives on methodologies in the
interdisciplinary field of social dynamics.
Please submit via EasyChair by Friday April 12, 2013