]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2013

SOCNET May 2013

Re: social network studies on adolescent alcohol use

"Ronald E. Rice" <[log in to unmask]>

Ronald E. Rice

Thu, 30 May 2013 18:29:41 -0700

text/plain

Also:  Rice, R.E., Donohew, L., & Clayton, R. (2003).   Peer network,
sensation seeking, and drug use among junior and senior high school
students. Connections, 25(2), 5-19.(paper at
http://www.comm.ucsb.edu/faculty/rrice/a79.htm)

This study argues that both biological and social factors are strong
influences on use of drugs by adolescents and teenagers, and, further,
that these factors may interact.  Thus, both biological and social
factors offer avenues for targeting prime at-risk groups and designing
messages and programs to reach them.  The biological factor explored
here is sensation-seeking, and the social factor explored is the
attitudes, behaviors, and sensation-seeking of respondents? named
peers.  These factors are included in a longitudinal structural model
that is tested over three cohorts of an average of 1900 junior- and
high-school students, each measured at three successive grades.  Both
one?s own sensation-seeking, and peer influence (drug use,
sensation-seeking), along with prior drug use, are the main predictors
of specific drug use at the end of the periods.
--
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Professor in the Social Effects of Mass Communication