SVD in two-mode networks analysis

"Derric B. Jacobs" <[log in to unmask]>

Derric B. Jacobs

Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:27:29 -0700

text/plain

Hello All,

I am wondering if someone can help me out with an issue I have in my
research. I have data on information sources from a name interpreter
question. This question asked if they had heard of, read, think the
source is reputable and if they agree with the source of information
on a certain issue (valued data). It also includes sources that are
supportive of the issue and sources that disagree with the issue at
hand (+/- data). I want to show that sources of information are
correlated to beliefs and concerns on the issue and that groups may
form around these based on where people get their information.

I ran across the use of SVD in a couple manuscripts and it seems very
promising but my searches are not showing wide utilization. It seems
that the mathematics camp is more supportive of the technique? I am
wondering if you all can help point me to more literature or maybe
even give me some advice on if I should abandon this and focus
elsewhere or should I pursue it with gusto? Part of my issue is my
time-line for my dissertation so I could also abandon this for more
familiar techniques and then try SVD with my data in an attempt for a
paper later?

Any replies will be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,

Derric Jacobs, MPP
PhD candidate: Environmental Sciences
301 Gilkey Hall
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331
email: [log in to unmask]
Cell: 541-979-2652

I believe that to meet the challenge of the next century, human beings will
have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must
learn to work not just for his or her own self, family or nation, but for the
benefit of all mankind.
His Holiness the Dalai Lama, speech? in 1994