LISTSERV Archives

PSYART Home

PSYART  July 2013, Week 1

PSYART July 2013, Week 1

Re: Moocs (long post!)

Tracy Marks <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion Group for Psychology and the Arts <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Jul 2013 01:46:28 -0400

text/plain

The post on MOOC's is motivating me to come out of lurkdom and share
my experience with Moocs as well as my thoughts about online
education. This will probably be a lengthy post.

I'm currently taking the Fiction of Relationship course at Coursera.
It's basically a course on how literature influences the fictions we
create in our minds about others in our relationships, and I can
honestly say that while I have an M.A. in English from Tufts, that
this is the most enlightening and meaningful literature course I ever
had. In fact, I'm inclined to sign up for it again if it is offered again.

The quality of the video lectures, discussion videos, the readings,
and most of all the posts on the discussion forum (which I am now
spending about 2 hours a day on, reading and posting) is high
level.  The course is almost half over, and so far, I've also found
doing the three writing assignments, including one analytical essay
(on Manon Lescaut) and one creative essay (on Kafka's Metamorphosis
and/or A Country Doctor - In my essay, I focused on the meanings of
"flower in the wound" in the second story and also wrote a poem on
the subject which had real therapeutic value for me) to be very worthwhile.

Of course, because this is a free course and a curiosity, there are a
lot of post-graduate students taking it, some professional writers
and instructors, not just undergraduates and college age students. So
with over 15,000 students from all over the world, one is bound to
find a lot of posts on a level to which one can relate. It also helps
to have a professor (Professor Weinstein, professor of Comparative
Literature at Brown) who has a lot of psychological insight, seems to
speak from the heart at least as much as the head (facilitating
student interaction on that level) and who presents openended
questions that catalyze discussion.

Last fall I took the Modern Poetry course which was also superbly
done, although I had serious criticism of the selection of poems. It
seemed to me that the professor chose poems that mostly reflected the
pathology of modern society, many of which were "word game" language
poems, the worst of the recent movements in contemporary poetry. But
the course was so well done, with such active discussion that it
continues without the professor to this day.

Because it's easy to sign up for courses there, I've actually signed
up for about ten, most of which I've only checked periodically,
though I watched all the videos for the Greek mythology course and
the Psychology of Irrational Behavior - the latter taught by Dan
Ariely, author of many books on the subject. I didn't check into that
class till the last week but have just finished going through the
lectures which are very engaging. He is a charismatic and enjoyable
instructor, and provides considerable insight into human behavior.
And I say this from the perspective of two years of graduate training
in clinical psychology and 25 years experience as a psychotherapist.

Some of the videos for Modern History, and Nutrition were also very
good. But in neither of these courses (nor in Greek mythology) were
the instructors skilled at facilitating discussion online. It was as
if they had reproduced canned lectures - and excellent ones - but
really didn't know how to adapt their courses to an interactive online format.

Ironically, the course on Online Education (how to teach online) was
an absolute disaster. Its failure had a lot to do with how the
instructor asked about 30,000 students to divide into groups of five
students and complete a major project requiring the participation of
all five students in creating an animation using technology on
another site within the first week of the course. And she provided
almost no structure for any of that, including creating a means for
30,000 students online from all over the world (some who hadn't even
shown up yet ) to even divide up in groups, not to mention learn the
software for our project. I really started to think she was creating
an experience of how NOT to teach online that she'd be using as an
example in the coming weeks, but even if she were doing that, she
would have been setting herself up for a huge dropout rate. Chaos
resulted and so much criticism that she terminated the class during
the second week.

Now to my opinion about MOOcs: They are not for everyone, and both
supporters and critics seem to me to be erring in evaluating them by
the old framework they apply to regular college classes. There are
many issues here - how to engage thousands of students, many who
don't know English well, how to deal with technical problems, and how
to motivate students to interact on the discussion forums are just
three of the issues. Many students these days are signing up just out
of curiosity and only showing up periodically (as I've done in a
number of classes) and many don't have the self-discipline for an
online course. But to evaluate courses such as these on the basis of
how many students complete all the assignments and requirements is
not to use the right standard of evaluation. Just because we choose
not to complete a course or do the assignments doesn't mean we don't
find the course valuable.

Offering these courses for credit however raises some different and
serious issues. First, more professors have to perfect the process of
online teaching and not expect to just drop videos of their lectures
onto the computer. They need to be engaged on the discussion forums
and keep asking questions that intrigue students. They need to teach
in a structure like Coursera has, which is truly viable and seriously
reduces technical problems.

But the biggest problem I see is the grading system. It's not so much
of an issue in a class oriented toward memorization which can
evaluate students on the basis of computer-graded tests. But it's a
real problem for humanities and social science courses which to be
worthwhile need to develop the student's reflective thinking skills -
applying what they learned to their own papers and projects.

I've been fortunate so far with peer reviewing (reviewing FIVE
student essays for every one you write, according to specific
standards) because most of the responses I got to my essays were
fairly decent, and altogether much more detailed than I've received
from any professor. But not everyone is so lucky. And I doubt if
these kind of peer reviews alone would be acceptable for a course to
be acrredited.

However I do think that such courses might be viable if grad students
specializing in the subject matter of the course were to evaluate and
grade the essays. But with as many as 50,000 students per course
(though far fewer are likely to sign up when the courses start
charging), that would be a lot of evaluators. Students would have to
pay more for the course to get that kind of feedback. But still the
costs could probably be half as much as most college courses today,
and would reach far more students than are currently reached by
in-person classes, for reasons of geography, time commuting and scheduling.

In regard to the upset in academia regarding potential loss of
college teaching jobs - It could also be that if professors lost some
of their workload due to more students taking courses online, that
they would spend part of that time involved in the grading/evaluation
process for MOOCs. This would help counter the loss of jobs. It would
mean a some adaptation for professors -- but progress involves
adaptation and change. Shaking up the system educational system
periodically may well be beneficial - and in this case, could make
education more relevant and meaningful for many students. For one
thing, students can participate far more - and get far more responses
- in online discussion forums than they can in a classroom in which
student input is much more limited.

In short, I don't think that MOOCs are substitutes for in-person nor
should they be considered as such. The more parts of ourselves are
involved in a learning experience, the more deeply we learn - and we
are more present bodily, and in many ways emotionally and
interpersonally in an in-person course. MOOCs are an adjunct to
in-person classes, not a substitute.

When vcrs came out, and later dvds, there was a lot of concern that
people would stop going to movies. With ebooks, there is concern that
fewer people are reading books in print - and that is happening
(Fewer people have been reading books anyway, and especially quality
literature - both serious issues). So there is a change. But people
still go to movies and still read the printed page and hopefully will
always continue to do so. Students in a degree program can certainly
take many courses in-person and others online as well. And courses
that involve both - and I have taken some locally in Cambridge, MA
-are particularly advantageous because they combine the best of both worlds.

I think that MOOCs are very worthwhile for some students for some
purposes, but many professors starting to teach online need to take
the time to learn the process. Plus the time involved in teaching and
preparing such a class and responding to even 5% of the students
taking it via discussion forums is substantial. One course could be a
fulltime job. And as I said before, for the courses to be for credit,
many of them need to have a reliable and knowledgeable method of
evaluation and grading - one that doesn't seem to be developed yet
for MOOCs with thousands of people. Hopefully it will happen.