HONORS-L 2014

Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 28 Jan 2014 15:09:01 +0000

text/plain

University Honors Program, 343 Infirmary, 352-392-1519, http://www.honors.ufl.edu

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all members of the UF Honors Program.

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement from Dr. Denny:
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Pick Up Your H-Box:
3.	STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Belgium through Clemson:
4.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Udall Scholarship Local Deadline Approaching:
5.	EVENT: Pep Rally and Honors Night at the UF Gymnastics Meet:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
6.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Honors Team:
7.	EVENT: 90's Night (TODAY):
8.	EVENT: PB&J and Cartoons:
9.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Meeting and Mochi Social:
10.	EVENT: Hume Assassin Informational Meeting (TODAY):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
11.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Graham Civic Scholars (NEW POSTING):
12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MA-International Business Information Session:
13.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MS-Management Information Session:
14.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Study Abroad Fair:
15.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Capital One Company Presentation (NEW POSTING):
LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
16.	LEADERSHIP: Library Ambassadors (NEW POSTING):
17.	LEADERSHIP: The Servant (student) Leader Institute (NEW POSTING):
18.	LEADERSHIP: Campus Diplomats Applications:
19.	VOLUNTEER: Presidential Service Awards:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
20.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Tuesday, January 28 (TODAY):
21.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Wednesday, January 29:
22.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, January 30:
23.	EVENT: Mystery Scavenger Hunt (NEW POSTING):
24.	EVENT: Korematsu Day, a Documentary Screening & Lunch Discussion (NEW POSTING):
25.	EVENT: Stadiums and Tel Aviv University Representative (NEW POSTING):
26.	EVENT: Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice Lecture (NEW POSTING):
27.	EVENT: Project Makeover Dodgeball (NEW POSTING):
28.	EVENT: Arabic Film Month (TODAY):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement from Dr. Denny:
Dear Honors Students,

After nearly 13 years at the University of Florida and over 7 years with the Honors Program, I have decided to make a career change. January 30 will be my last day at UF. I feel I am a better person having had the chance to advise so many talented, creative and driven students. I routinely advise students not to be afraid to pursue a goal, no matter what it might be. I've finally decided to follow my own advice as I launch a business here in Gainesville. I wish you all the best in your academic career at UF. Go Gators!

Sincerely,
John

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Pick Up Your H-Box:
The H-Box is designed as a "scavenger hunt" style activity for Honors students - with missions delivered through a deck of cards. This is an opportunity for Honors students to gain an enriched experience of University Academics, the Gainesville Community, and the Honors Program at the University of Florida.

Students must select a minimum of 25 activities from the cards provided, at least 5 from each area (academics, community, honors). You must provide "proof of presence" in the form of receipt, photograph, or other printed record of attendance, and attach it to the card. You can view the various activities here: http://www.pinterest.com/ufhonors/h-box/

Students who complete their H-Box will receive a gold star pin, as well as 1 enrichment point towards Honors completion requirements. And of course, you get to keep your H-Box as a personal memory of your experience at UF. There is no deadline to complete your activities.

H-Boxes are now available for pick-up in 343 Infirmary. One per honors student, please.

3.	STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Belgium through Clemson:
Honors Study Abroad in Belgium is taking place from May 8-June 8 via Clemson University.

Get credit for HON H2020 European Integration and HON H2090 History/Culture of Belgium. Activities include day trips, a bike ride through WWI battlefields, meeting with officials of the European Commission, a tour of the 15th century castle of Gaasbeek, and a rail-bike trip to Maredsous Abbey.

The cost is approximately $4800 and includes tuition through Clemson, lodging, program-related tours and activities, metro and train passes, and course materials. Deadline to apply is February 15. Application is available at http://tinyurl.com/HonorsBrussels. For more information, contact Dr. Steve Wainscott, [log in to unmask]

Credit for the HON H2020/H2090 courses may also count for academic points towards UF Honors completion requirements. Contact Dr. Johnson ([log in to unmask]) to verify if you participate in this program.

4.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Udall Scholarship Local Deadline Approaching:
The local deadline for the Udall Scholarship is February 14 (national deadline is March 5). Sophomores and juniors are encouraged to apply for this award, which covers tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $5000 for one year. The award is intended for students in the following categories: anyone intending to pursue a career in environmental science or public policy, or Native American/Alaska Native students interested in careers related to health care and tribal public policy. For more information refer to www.udall.gov or contact Regan Garner in the Honors Office at [log in to unmask]

5.	EVENT: Pep Rally and Honors Night at the UF Gymnastics Meet:
Come to Murphree Commons at 5:15pm on Friday, January 31 for a pep rally for the Gator Gymnastics meet! Make posters, get drinks, and get pumped about the team's biggest meet of the season vs #1 Oklahoma. We'll be supporting our own Honors Gator gymnast, Jamie Shisler!

We will be walking from Murphree to the O'Connell Center at 6:00pm for an Honors-only pizza party at Gate 4. You must pick up a free pizza party ticket in advance in 343 Infirmary. Your pizza party ticket will also be used to enter you into a raffle for some great prizes from the UF Athletic Association, with the top prize being a floor seat for you and a friend at the meet. You'll even get interviewed on the big screen in-between rotations! After the meet, we'll be taking a big Honors group picture, so wear an honors t-shirt.

Questions? Contact Wade Ingram at [log in to unmask] or Dr. Johnson at [log in to unmask]

https://www.facebook.com/events/655035421227240/655295121201270/

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

6.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Honors Team:
Come out and join the UF Honors Team at the Sixth Annual Stomp the Swamp for Autism this Saturday, February 1 at 10:00am in the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Stomp the Swamp is a fitness event held at the Swamp that supports the UF Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD). CARD provides services for individuals and the families of individuals with Autism and related disabilities. Activities at Stomp the Swamp include free breakfast, various fitness events, races, raffles and the chance to win many prizes.

Pre-register online at http://uffuflevents.imodules.com/stomptheswamp2014 for $15, you can also register at the gate that morning for $20. When registering be sure to list "UF Honors" as the team. The team with the most members wins a cash prize, which could be donated to the Honors Program to fund various activities benefit honors students. So come out, have fun, and be fit with your Honors family!

For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1449289455292616/

Other questions contact [log in to unmask]

7.	EVENT: 90's Night (TODAY):
Time for a blast from your past! 90s night will be taking place in the Hume Commons on Tuesday, January 28 at 7:00pm and will be featuring a variety of things that are reminiscent of the 1990s including a Pokemon tournament (if you have a Nintendo DS), board games, snacks, and 90s music!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1484562721770636/

8.	EVENT: PB&J and Cartoons:
Come out to Hume Commons this Thursday, January 30, to make PB&J for the homeless of Gainesville. We'll be there all day, so come out whenever you can! Enjoy cartoons while making sandwiches, and when you're done you can take a PB&J to-go. For more information go to https://www.facebook.com/events/282885351860052

9.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Meeting and Mochi Social:
We'll be having Honors Without Borders' first meeting of the semester this Thursday, January 30, at 7:30pm in Hume Classroom, followed by a Mochi social where we all walk over after the meeting. All honors students are welcome, and food will be provided!

10.	EVENT: Hume Assassin Informational Meeting (TODAY):
Want to win $50 and instant bragging rights over everyone living in Hume? Hume Assassin is your chance! There will be an info session on Tuesday, January 28 at 6:00pm in Hume Commons. It is free to play: all you need to do is send in a picture of yourself, your building (East or West) and floor, and attend the meeting. If you absolutely cannot attend, include that in your e-mail and we will make alternate arrangements. Send all info to [log in to unmask]

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

11.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Graham Civic Scholars (NEW POSTING):
The Bob Graham Center is looking for 50 students to study aging physical infrastructure in an assigned Florida county and write a report. Upon satisfactory completion of all project requirements, scholars will receive a $500 stipend. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 4, and the research must be completed by Tuesday, April 8. Scholars will also be expected to attend an opening assembly on Tuesday, February 11 and a roundtable event on Tuesday, March 25. Students from all majors are encouraged to apply. For more information visit: http://www.bobgrahamcenter.ufl.edu/students/graham-civic-scholars.

12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MA-International Business Information Session:
Join us for our MA-major in International Business Program (MAIB) information session on Wednesday, January 29 from 6:00-7:00pm in Hough Hall 120. The MAIB program is a flexible one-year graduate business degree designed to equip students with global management business skills and set them apart from the competition. The MAIB Combined Option is a great opportunity for UF undergraduate students who would like to start their graduate coursework before completing their bachelor's degree. Combined students save time and money by utilizing undergraduate scholarships and by double-counting graduate credits to both their undergraduate and MAIB degrees. More information is available online at: warrington.ufl.edu/MAIB.

13.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MS-Management Information Session:
Want to diversify your transferable skills? The Master of Science in Management program is designed for students without a background in business. Students gain a solid business foundation and strengthen transferable skills to open up advancement opportunities within their undergraduate major field or business sector. The program offers traditional, combined (bachelor/master) and dual degree (Master/PhD) options. Learn more at our information session on Wednesday, January 29 from 7:00-8:00pm in Hough Hall 120.

Upcoming Events: http://warrington.ufl.edu/graduate/academics/msm/events.asp

14.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Study Abroad Fair:
The UF International Center is proud to host the UF Study Abroad Fair at the Plaza of Americas on Wednesday, January 29 from 10:00am to 3:00pm. Study-abroad programs help students discover new cultures, increase global awareness, enhance foreign language skills, make new friends and establish new contacts. Overseas internship opportunities are available. Most financial aid can be used for study-abroad programs, and study abroad can be used to satisfy summer residency requirements.

UF study-abroad program directors, independent program providers and former study-abroad students will be available to share their international experiences. The UF Study Abroad Services staff will be available to explain the application process and help students begin the steps to find the right program.

The International Center encourages prospective "Global Gators" to visit http://www.ufic.ufl.edu/sas/index.html for more information.

15.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Capital One Company Presentation (NEW POSTING):
Capitol One will be on campus on Thursday January 30 at 7:00pm in the Career Resource Center, room 160.

Come join Capital One and learn how we are re-inventing banking in the digital arena! We are out to challenge the status quo and change banking for good. Chris Buckner, Sr. Manager IT, will be discussing what this means, and all the opportunities that Capital One offers so that you can join us on our mission. You will also hear directly from recent hires who can tell you first-hand the benefits of working in such an innovative space at Capital One. Not to mention, you may just win an iPad Mini!

LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

16.	LEADERSHIP: Library Ambassadors (NEW POSTING):
Library Ambassadors are the voice of the student body working to make the libraries more efficient for students. The primary purpose of the Library Ambassadors shall be to provide the students of the University of Florida resources and opportunities through:

- Serving as hosts and hostesses at official Smathers Libraries events.
- Fundraising to help sustain and improve the Libraries so UF students will have access to excellent services, technology and collections.
- Listening to student feedback and advising the Libraries about opportunities for new and improved library facilities and services.

Apply at http://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/ambassadors; due February 3 at noon.

17.	LEADERSHIP: The Servant (student) Leader Institute (NEW POSTING):
Each year the Center for Leadership and Service hosts this day-long retreat to help current and aspiring Servant (student) Leaders grow in their leadership skills and network with a support group of other like-minded students. The Servant Leader Institute will give you the opportunity to network with other servant leaders, problem solve with UF and community leaders, and develop ways to increase your impact with training related to coalition building, service-learning, and servant leadership development.

You should select two current executive board members of your organization, and at least one up-and-coming leader to attend.

The retreat will be held in Poe Springs Lodge, High Springs on Saturday, February 15.

Please visit http://bit.ly/RSVPUFSLI to RSVP by February 7.

18.	LEADERSHIP: Campus Diplomats Applications:
Looking to become a "One of a Kind" leader on campus, personalizing UF for families, faculty, staff, and students? The Campus Diplomats are accepting applications through Wednesday, January 29. The Campus Diplomats serve as the official ambassadors to the Dean of Students Office and host events including Family Weekend, Apple-4-U, Weeks of Welcome, and much more. For more information, students can visit https://www.dso.ufl.edu/campus-diplomats, like "Campus Diplomats" on Facebook, or follow @UofFCampusDips on Twitter and Instagram.

19.	VOLUNTEER: Presidential Service Awards:
Incorporating volunteer work into a busy schedule of classes, extracurricular activities and a social life is a challenge! That is why the Center for Leadership and Service would like to recognize you for your civic contributions. If you have volunteered 100 hours of service between March 13, 2013 and March 10, 2014, then apply for the Presidential Service Awards.  Applications are due March 10. For more information: http://www.leadershipandservice.ufl.edu/awards-presidential-service.html.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

20.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Tuesday, January 28 (TODAY):
- University Math Society at 6:30pm in Little Hall, room 101. Focus: Events for spring, including socials, the Gator Mathematics Competition, and the Integration Bee. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/590697864344134/

- Friends for Life of America at 6:30pm in CSE E221. Focus: Upcoming volunteer activities, socials, and fundraisers. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/648391665218502/ . Contact: [log in to unmask]

- Women in Computer Science and Engineering at 7:00pm in E404 Computer Science building. Focus: Student leadership positions, local outreach, guest speakers, mentorship programs, and upcoming events.

- Gators for Doctors Without Borders at 7:20pm in Matherly Hall, room 105. Focus: Discussing our upcoming events and socials. For more information: http://www.facebook.com/groups/29181193817/ . Contact: [log in to unmask]

- UF Habitat for Humanity at 8:20pm in Rinker Hall, room 110. Focus: Upcoming builds, events, and fundraising. Those who sign up for builds at meetings have preference for selection.

21.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Wednesday, January 29:
- Engineers Without Borders at 6:00pm in Rhines 125. Focus: Discussing upcoming events in volunteering and fundraising, updates on international projects, and membership requirements. All disciplines, majors, and backgrounds welcome. For more information: www.facebook.com/ewbuf and www.ewb-uf.org

22.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, January 30:
- Student United Way at 6:00pm in Little Hall, room 125. Focus: upcoming service events, dues and membership. The speaker will be Laura Javidi, Director of Development and Special Events for the Boy's and Girl's Club of Alachua County. Free pizza will be provided.

- Just Shoe It at 6:15pm in Little Hall, room 201. Focus: Guest speaker who will share information about our latest project. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/691950310849988/

- Gators for UNICEF at 6:30pm in Anderson 101. Focus: Watching a film on human trafficking, "Not My Life." For more information: [log in to unmask]

23.	EVENT: Mystery Scavenger Hunt (NEW POSTING):
Scooby Dooby Doo where are you? For once, we know where he is! In the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom! The whole gang needs you to come out to RUB Entertainment's Scooby Doo Mystery Night on January 29 at 8:00pm. Solve a mystery, play some cool games, and create your own crafts. Join Shaggy, Velma, Daphne, Fred, and Scooby for a night to connect the clues. The mystery machine is coming your way, you don't want to miss out!

24.	EVENT: Korematsu Day, a Documentary Screening & Lunch Discussion (NEW POSTING):
Join APIA Affairs as we celebrate Korematsu Day by a screening of the documentary "Unfinished Business: The Japanese Internment Cases."

Location: Peabody Hall Room 411
Time & Date: 11:45am-1:40pm, Thursday, January 30

Free pizza and drinks will be provided.

After the documentary screening, join us as we discuss the legacy and significance of Fred Korematsu and other Japanese Americans, Korematsu Day, and what we can do ourselves to sustain their legacies.

https://www.facebook.com/events/577046112389710

25.	EVENT: Stadiums and Tel Aviv University Representative (NEW POSTING):
On Thursday, January 30, take care of your body by doing stadiums. Then cool off with a discussion led by a Tel Aviv University Representative and snacks. Bring your running gear and a bottle of water and meet at the Bull Gator across from Gator Dining at the entrance of the stadium. We will start at 6:00pm. Email Sam Silverberg at [log in to unmask] with questions.

26.	EVENT: Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice Lecture (NEW POSTING):
The Christian Study Center is looking forward to our final two guest lecturers in the Culture Seminar series, "Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice." The first of these will be held on Thursday, January 30, at 6:15pm, in room 270 Weil Hall, when Richard Hays, Dean of the Duke Divinity School and the George Washington Ivey Professor of New Testament, will present "Making All Things New: The New Testament Vision for Restorative Justice."

This lecture is free and open to the public. We encourage you to attend.

27.	EVENT: Project Makeover Dodgeball (NEW POSTING):
On Sunday, February 2 at 2:00pm on Broward Courts, come with a team of 6 people at $5 per person ($30 per team) to support Project Makeover which will be renovating Sidney Lanier Center on February 21-23. If you are interested in volunteering or fundraising, please email [log in to unmask]

28.	EVENT: Arabic Film Month (TODAY):
Join UF's Arabic Cultural Association in their 2nd Annual Arabic Film Month co-sponsored by George A. Smathers Libraries. Catch a screening of the award-winning Jordanian film "Captain Abu Raed" on Tuesday, January 28 in Library East Room 1A. Doors open at 6:00pm, and the films begin at 6:30pm. Come out and enjoy these movies as well as free Arabic food. For more information, contact [log in to unmask] or visit the event's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1398219277097268/

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html

To submit an announcement for posting, please complete the online form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/HonorsDaily.aspx

Connect to the Honors Program -
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/UFHonors