HONORS-L 2014

Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 30 Jan 2014 15:51:59 +0000

text/plain

University Honors Program, 343 Infirmary, 352-392-1519, http://www.honors.ufl.edu

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all members of the UF Honors Program.

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement from Dr. Denny (TODAY):
2.	STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Belgium through Clemson:
3.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Udall Scholarship Local Deadline Approaching:
4.	EVENT: Pep Rally and Honors Night at the UF Gymnastics Meet:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
5.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Honors Team:
6.	EVENT: PB&J and Cartoons (TODAY):
7.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Meeting and Mochi Social (TODAY):
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
8.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MA-International Business Combined Degree Workshop (NEW POSTING):
9.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Department of Political Science Film Series: Casablanca (NEW POSTING):
10.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Graham Civic Scholars:
11.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Capital One Company Presentation (TODAY):
12.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Champions for Change (NEW POSTING):
13.	RESEARCH: Creativity in the Arts and Sciences Event (NEW POSTING):
14.	RESEARCH: National Institute of Standards and Technology Summer Research Fellowship (NEW POSTING):
15.	RESEARCH: Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (NEW POSTING):
16.	RESEARCH: Health Disparities Research Assistant Opening (NEW POSTING):
LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
17.	VOLUNTEER: FAB Disaster Recovery Spring Break Trip (NEW POSTING):
18.	LEADERSHIP: Library Ambassadors:
19.	LEADERSHIP: The Servant (student) Leader Institute:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
20.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, January 30 (TODAY):
21.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Monday, February 3:
22.	EVENT: Korematsu Day, a Documentary Screening & Lunch Discussion (TODAY):
23.	EVENT: Stadiums and Tel Aviv University Representative (TODAY):
24.	EVENT: Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice Lecture (TODAY):
25.	EVENT: Project Makeover Dodgeball:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Announcement from Dr. Denny (TODAY):
Dear Honors Students,

After nearly 13 years at the University of Florida and over 7 years with the Honors Program, I have decided to make a career change. January 30 will be my last day at UF. I feel I am a better person having had the chance to advise so many talented, creative and driven students. I routinely advise students not to be afraid to pursue a goal, no matter what it might be. I've finally decided to follow my own advice as I launch a business here in Gainesville. I wish you all the best in your academic career at UF. Go Gators!

Sincerely,
John

2.	STUDY ABROAD: Honors in Belgium through Clemson:
Honors Study Abroad in Belgium is taking place from May 8-June 8 via Clemson University.

Get credit for HON H2020 European Integration and HON H2090 History/Culture of Belgium. Activities include day trips, a bike ride through WWI battlefields, meeting with officials of the European Commission, a tour of the 15th century castle of Gaasbeek, and a rail-bike trip to Maredsous Abbey.

The cost is approximately $4800 and includes tuition through Clemson, lodging, program-related tours and activities, metro and train passes, and course materials. Deadline to apply is February 15. Application is available at http://tinyurl.com/HonorsBrussels. For more information, contact Dr. Steve Wainscott, [log in to unmask]

Credit for the HON H2020/H2090 courses may also count for academic points towards UF Honors completion requirements. Contact Dr. Johnson ([log in to unmask]) to verify if you participate in this program.

3.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Udall Scholarship Local Deadline Approaching:
The local deadline for the Udall Scholarship is February 14 (national deadline is March 5). Sophomores and juniors are encouraged to apply for this award, which covers tuition, fees, books, and room and board, up to a maximum of $5000 for one year. The award is intended for students in the following categories: anyone intending to pursue a career in environmental science or public policy, or Native American/Alaska Native students interested in careers related to health care and tribal public policy. For more information refer to www.udall.gov or contact Regan Garner in the Honors Office at [log in to unmask]

4.	EVENT: Pep Rally and Honors Night at the UF Gymnastics Meet:
Come to Murphree Commons at 5:15pm on Friday, January 31 for a pep rally for the Gator Gymnastics meet! Make posters, get drinks, and get pumped about the team's biggest meet of the season vs #1 Oklahoma. We'll be supporting our own Honors Gator gymnast, Jamie Shisler!

We will be walking from Murphree to the O'Connell Center at 6:00pm for an Honors-only pizza party at Gate 4. You must pick up a free pizza party ticket in advance in 343 Infirmary. Your pizza party ticket will also be used to enter you into a raffle for some great prizes from the UF Athletic Association, with the top prize being a floor seat for you and a friend at the meet. You'll even get interviewed on the big screen in-between rotations! After the meet, we'll be taking a big Honors group picture, so wear an honors t-shirt.

Questions? Contact Wade Ingram at [log in to unmask] or Dr. Johnson at [log in to unmask]

https://www.facebook.com/events/655035421227240/655295121201270/

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

5.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Honors Team:
Come out and join the UF Honors Team at the Sixth Annual Stomp the Swamp for Autism this Saturday, February 1 at 10:00am in the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Stomp the Swamp is a fitness event held at the Swamp that supports the UF Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD). CARD provides services for individuals and the families of individuals with Autism and related disabilities. Activities at Stomp the Swamp include free breakfast, various fitness events, races, raffles and the chance to win many prizes.

Pre-register online at http://uffuflevents.imodules.com/stomptheswamp2014 for $15, you can also register at the gate that morning for $20. When registering be sure to list "UF Honors" as the team. The team with the most members wins a cash prize, which could be donated to the Honors Program to fund various activities benefit honors students. So come out, have fun, and be fit with your Honors family!

For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/1449289455292616/

Other questions contact [log in to unmask]

6.	EVENT: PB&J and Cartoons (TODAY):
Come out to Hume Commons this Thursday, January 30, to make PB&J for the homeless of Gainesville. We'll be there all day, so come out whenever you can! Enjoy cartoons while making sandwiches, and when you're done you can take a PB&J to-go. For more information go to https://www.facebook.com/events/282885351860052

7.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Meeting and Mochi Social (TODAY):
We'll be having Honors Without Borders' first meeting of the semester this Thursday, January 30, at 7:30pm in Hume Classroom, followed by a Mochi social where we all walk over after the meeting. All honors students are welcome, and food will be provided!

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

8.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: MA-International Business Combined Degree Workshop (NEW POSTING):
Join us for our upcoming MA-International Business (MAIB) Combined Workshop on Friday, January 31 at 12:00pm in Hough Hall 338. The MAIB program is a flexible one-year graduate business degree designed to equip students with global management business skills and set them apart from the competition. Advanced students begin MAIB courses before completing their bachelor's degree, saving time and money. This session will be cohosted by a Heavener adviser and will cover combined benefits, academic timeline planning, and application tips. Limited spaces are available, so please RSVP at: http://bit.ly/MAIBCombinedRSVP

9.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Department of Political Science Film Series: Casablanca (NEW POSTING):
The Department of Political Science is hosting a film series for faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students. All films will be shown in 034 Anderson from 6:00-9:00pm. The idea is to have a relatively informal venue with relatively entertaining films, which nonetheless may have more political significance than the lens through which we may view them when for pure entertainment.

There is an historical trajectory suggested in this film series, as well as a common theme regarding changes in state power, and in the relationship between state/economic/social actors, over time. For more information, please contact the film series coordinator, Patricia Woods, at [log in to unmask]

Monday, February 3: Film - Casablanca. Filmed and released during World War II, the experience of Europeans and Americans stuck in Vichy-controlled Morocco during World War II, it is considered by some to be the best film of all time. Professor Dragan Kujundzic, Center for Jewish Studies, University of Florida will give introductory remarks on Casablanca as film.

10.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Graham Civic Scholars:
The Bob Graham Center is looking for 50 students to study aging physical infrastructure in an assigned Florida county and write a report. Upon satisfactory completion of all project requirements, scholars will receive a $500 stipend. The deadline to apply is Tuesday, February 4, and the research must be completed by Tuesday, April 8. Scholars will also be expected to attend an opening assembly on Tuesday, February 11 and a roundtable event on Tuesday, March 25. Students from all majors are encouraged to apply. For more information visit: http://www.bobgrahamcenter.ufl.edu/students/graham-civic-scholars.

11.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Capital One Company Presentation (TODAY):
Capitol One will be on campus on Thursday January 30 at 7:00pm in the Career Resource Center, room 160.

Come join Capital One and learn how we are re-inventing banking in the digital arena! We are out to challenge the status quo and change banking for good. Chris Buckner, Sr. Manager IT, will be discussing what this means, and all the opportunities that Capital One offers so that you can join us on our mission. You will also hear directly from recent hires who can tell you first-hand the benefits of working in such an innovative space at Capital One. Not to mention, you may just win an iPad Mini!

12.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Champions for Change (NEW POSTING):
Champions for Change recognizes individuals or groups who have made significant contributions in the areas of sustainability and health. Nominations began January 27 and go through February 28. Nominate a group or someone today. You can even nominate yourself!

Visit http://sustainable.ufl.edu/awards/ for nominations.

The actual event will take place April 11 at 11:30am at the Plaza of Americas.

13.	RESEARCH: Creativity in the Arts and Sciences Event (NEW POSTING):
The UF-HHMI Science for Life Program and the College of Fine Arts invite you, your family, and friends to attend the 2014 Creativity in the Arts and Science Event (CASE) on Saturday, February 1st from 9:30am-5:00pm at the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom and the McGuire Dance Pavilion.

The CASE features science research posters, 2-D and 3-D art exhibits, film, and dance/music/theatre performances presented by undergraduates in the Science for Life Program and the College of Fine Arts from the University of Florida, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, Emory University, and Louisiana State University. Discover the theories behind the students' works in the arts and sciences as they compete for the CASE Award.

Also, we are proud to announce the CASE Kick-Off on Friday, January 31, from 5:30-7:30pm.  This event will feature 2 guest speakers and will be held in the McKnight Brain Institute. There will be food and refreshments following the event.

14.	RESEARCH: National Institute of Standards and Technology Summer Research Fellowship (NEW POSTING):
The NIST Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program provides an opportunity for undergraduate students to spend a summer working with the internationally recognized NIST research staff on projects in a wide variety of disciplines at either the main NIST laboratories in Gaithersburg, Md., or its laboratories in Boulder, Colo. Applications are made on behalf of the students by their academic institutions. Applications must be received by February 14. Full details of the program, rules and the application process are available at http://Grants.gov under funding opportunity 2014-NIST-SURF-01.

15.	RESEARCH: Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (NEW POSTING):
The Summer Institute for Training in Biostatistics (SIBS) is designed to introduce quantitatively-oriented undergraduate students to Biostatistics. In this program students learn about the applications of statistical methods in biomedical research through coursework and hands-on experience working with real data collected in major clinical studies. SIBS is offered at eight sites: Boston University, Columbia University, Emory University, North Carolina State University-Raleigh, University of Iowa, University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, University of Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh and the University of Wisconsin. Each of the eight program sites has its own unique features, but they all have a well-conceived, balanced agenda and an outstanding staff of dedicated investigators and professors.

Sponsored by the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute and the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, the program has been very successful, but space is limited! Students should apply soon. SIBS is open to all US undergraduates (citizens or permanent residents).

Note: participants receive college credit that can transfer back to their home institutions.  All costs are covered: tuition, housing, meals, etc.

For more information please see our program web sites:

Boston University Medical Campus: http://sph.bu.edu/sibs

Columbia University: http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/academic-departments/biostatistics/csibs-program

Emory University: http://www.sph.emory.edu/cms/departments_centers/bios/bios_training/sibs.html

North Carolina State University: http://www.stat.ncsu.edu/sibs/

University of Iowa: http://cph.uiowa.edu/biostat/isib/overview.html

University of Minnesota: http://www.sph.umn.edu/programs/sibs/

University of Pittsburgh at Pittsburgh: http://www.publichealth.pitt.edu/biostatistics/research/sibs

University of Wisconsin at Madison: http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/Education/SIBS/index.htm

16.	RESEARCH: Health Disparities Research Assistant Opening (NEW POSTING):
Dr. Carolyn Tucker's Behavioral Medicine Research Team is looking for excellent research assistants for the upcoming semesters. This research team conducts culturally sensitive, community-based interventions with the ultimate goal of reducing national health disparities, particularly among low-income, ethnic/racial minority populations. All research team members actively interact with community member participants and are instrumental in carrying out health-promoting interventions. For more information on HDRIP and to learn about our recent/current projects, please visit http://ufhealthdisparities.med.ufl.edu/.

At this time, we are accepting applications for unpaid undergraduate research assistant positions that start immediately and must continue through Summer C 2014. The position requires a full two-semester commitment of a *minimum* of 6 hours a week. Research assistants will receive PCO 4911 "Undergraduate Research in Psychology of Health Disparities" credits for the first and second semesters (2 credits per semester).

Please email the BMED Lab Managers at [log in to unmask] for an application and more information.

LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

17.	VOLUNTEER: FAB Disaster Recovery Spring Break Trip (NEW POSTING):
The FAB Disaster Recovery trip and Habitat for Humanity is giving you the opportunity this spring break, March 1-8, to empower a community in Alabama that suffered from a damaging series of tornadoes in 2011. Whether you have previously worked with Habitat for Humanity or whether you have never lifted a hammer in your life, you'll have the chance to build and refurbish homes for those without.

With our help, Habitat of Marion County Alabama, will receive a month of continuous volunteer service from universities in the SEC. Even though the Gators weren't SEC football champions this year, we can be SEC service champions; building up homes, lives, and communities one nail at a time!

The trip is $215 and will cover transportation, food, and any other service costs. To sign up or to learn more visit the Center for Leadership and Service on the 3rd floor of Peabody Hall.

18.	LEADERSHIP: Library Ambassadors:
Library Ambassadors are the voice of the student body working to make the libraries more efficient for students. The primary purpose of the Library Ambassadors shall be to provide the students of the University of Florida resources and opportunities through:

- Serving as hosts and hostesses at official Smathers Libraries events.
- Fundraising to help sustain and improve the Libraries so UF students will have access to excellent services, technology and collections.
- Listening to student feedback and advising the Libraries about opportunities for new and improved library facilities and services.

Apply at http://guides.uflib.ufl.edu/ambassadors; due February 3 at noon.

19.	LEADERSHIP: The Servant (student) Leader Institute:
Each year the Center for Leadership and Service hosts this day-long retreat to help current and aspiring Servant (student) Leaders grow in their leadership skills and network with a support group of other like-minded students. The Servant Leader Institute will give you the opportunity to network with other servant leaders, problem solve with UF and community leaders, and develop ways to increase your impact with training related to coalition building, service-learning, and servant leadership development.

You should select two current executive board members of your organization, and at least one up-and-coming leader to attend.

The retreat will be held in Poe Springs Lodge, High Springs on Saturday, February 15.

Please visit http://bit.ly/RSVPUFSLI to RSVP by February 7.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

20.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, January 30 (TODAY):
- Student United Way at 6:00pm in Little Hall, room 125. Focus: upcoming service events, dues and membership. The speaker will be Laura Javidi, Director of Development and Special Events for the Boy's and Girl's Club of Alachua County. Free pizza will be provided. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/suwuf. Contact: Susan Imes at [log in to unmask]

- Global Medical Training at 6:15pm in CSE E221. Focus: General information about the organization and upcoming trips, as well as information about future events.

- Just Shoe It at 6:15pm in Little Hall, room 201. Focus: Guest speaker who will share information about our latest project. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/691950310849988/

- Gators for UNICEF at 6:30pm in Anderson 101. Focus: Watching a film on human trafficking, "Not My Life." For more information: [log in to unmask]

- Public Leadership Society at 7:15pm in Rinker 110. Focus: Find out how we can help you become a leader in your community and on campus. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/ufpls or www.ufpls.com.

21.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Monday, February 3:
- ASTRA at 6:00pm in Stuzin 104. Focus: Service projects such as Ronald McDonald House, Two Tails Ranch, Jungle Friends, Project Makeover, and March of Dimes. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/356943917781332/ . Contact: [log in to unmask]

22.	EVENT: Korematsu Day, a Documentary Screening & Lunch Discussion (TODAY):
Join APIA Affairs as we celebrate Korematsu Day by a screening of the documentary "Unfinished Business: The Japanese Internment Cases."

Location: Peabody Hall Room 411
Time & Date: 11:45am-1:40pm, Thursday, January 30

Free pizza and drinks will be provided.

After the documentary screening, join us as we discuss the legacy and significance of Fred Korematsu and other Japanese Americans, Korematsu Day, and what we can do ourselves to sustain their legacies.

https://www.facebook.com/events/577046112389710

23.	EVENT: Stadiums and Tel Aviv University Representative (TODAY):
On Thursday, January 30, take care of your body by doing stadiums. Then cool off with a discussion led by a Tel Aviv University Representative and snacks. Bring your running gear and a bottle of water and meet at the Bull Gator across from Gator Dining at the entrance of the stadium. We will start at 6:00pm. Email Sam Silverberg at [log in to unmask] with questions.

24.	EVENT: Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice Lecture (TODAY):
The Christian Study Center is looking forward to our final two guest lecturers in the Culture Seminar series, "Seeing Justice, Seeking Justice." The first of these will be held on Thursday, January 30, at 6:15pm, in room 270 Weil Hall, when Richard Hays, Dean of the Duke Divinity School and the George Washington Ivey Professor of New Testament, will present "Making All Things New: The New Testament Vision for Restorative Justice."

This lecture is free and open to the public. We encourage you to attend.

25.	EVENT: Project Makeover Dodgeball:
On Sunday, February 2 at 2:00pm on Broward Courts, come with a team of 6 people at $5 per person ($30 per team) to support Project Makeover which will be renovating Sidney Lanier Center on February 21-23. If you are interested in volunteering or fundraising, please email [log in to unmask]

You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html

To submit an announcement for posting, please complete the online form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/HonorsDaily.aspx

Connect to the Honors Program -
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/UFHonors