HONORS-L 2014

Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Mar 2014 15:10:54 +0000

text/plain

University Honors Program, 343 Infirmary, 352-392-1519, http://www.honors.ufl.edu

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Friday, March 28, 2014

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all members of the UF Honors Program.

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Support the Honors Program through the Senior Legacy Campaign:
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Daily Hiatus:
3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Hours Canceled for 4/1:
4.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: No-Show Policy:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
5.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Ultimate Tournament:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Department of Political Science Film Series: A Time to Kill:
7.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: DC Gator Club Scholarship for UF Students:
8.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Outstanding Freshmen Leadership Awards:
9.	INTERNSHIP: Boys and Girls Club of Alachua County Summer Internships:
10.	RESEARCH: April Undergraduate Research Seminar:
11.	RESEARCH: Summer Research Internship in Agroecology:
LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
12.	LEADERSHIP: Servant Leader Roundtable (NEW POSTING):
13.	VOLUNTEER: Green Energy Volunteer Program - WindAid (NEW POSTING):
14.	VOLUNTEER: Conversation Partners Needed:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
15.	ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Mascot Auditions:
16.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Friday, April 4:
17.	EVENT: "Where Dreams Come True" Floridance Spring Showcase (NEW POSTING):
18.	EVENT: Work It, Gators:
19.	EVENT: Dance-a-thon for Gainesville Equality Youth:
20.	EVENT: Gator Allies Gender Identity Workshop:
21.	EVENT: Inch by Inch:
22.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Presents: A Benefit for Dancers Responding to AIDS:

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Support the Honors Program through the Senior Legacy Campaign:
The Senior Legacy is a campaign created by the Florida Fund as an opportunity to say "Thanks!" to an institution that has made a lasting impact on your life in an equally lasting and meaningful way. Since 1995, graduating seniors have given thousands of dollars in support of the University of Florida. These students have left a legacy of excellent programming and resources for the benefit of future Gators - including you!

Your gift will allow UF to continue the tradition of offering excellent education, facilities, resources, and opportunities to students. Your support also provides the tools to further advance research and enhance the educational environment that make us all proud to call ourselves Gators.

Every senior is being asked to give $20.14 to honor your graduation year. While the majority of gifts will be at this level, the university often receives gifts at many levels - any amount helps. Seniors will be contacted about the Senior Legacy campaign on several occasions, including at Grad Bash through the Alumni Association.

For the first time, the Honors Program is able to benefit directly from the Senior Legacy campaign. We are very excited about this opportunity, as it means our own students have the opportunity to contribute directly to a program that we hope has had a great impact on them while at UF - whether through the Honors community at Hume, honors courses, advising, student organizations, support to attend conferences such as Gatorship, or other honors opportunities.

To make sure your Senior Legacy gift benefits the Honors Program, you can give directly through this link: www.uff.ufl.edu/Appeals/HonorsSeniors . If you decide to give during Grad Bash using a Senior Legacy card, please write in "Honors Program" as the beneficiary of your gift.

And of course, seniors aren't the only ones who can donate through the Senior Legacy campaign. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors are welcome to contribute as well - in fact, you have the opportunity to recognize someone in your gift. Why not "honor" a senior honors student?

Thanks to everyone for their support of the Honors Program - we couldn't do this without you!

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Daily Hiatus:
The Honors Daily will be on hiatus from March 31 - April 4. If you have any announcements that need to be posted during that time, please submit them this week so they can run early. Thanks!

3.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Walk-in Hours Canceled for 4/1:
Dr. Johnson's walk-in advising hours will be canceled on Tuesday, April 1. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

4.	ADVISING ANNOUNCEMENT: No-Show Policy:
As you may know, the Honors Office is currently understaffed while we complete our search for a new honors advisor. Advising appointments will be limited during advanced registration since there are only two advisors available - both of whom are covering additional responsibilities. As such, we have had to develop a new policy for students who don't show up for their advising appointments.

If you make an advising appointment and do not show up, you will not be allowed to make another appointment with an honors advisor until after April 10. You may still come during walk-in hours for quick questions only.

We have very limited availability right now. Not only is it disrespectful to advisors to not show up for time we have set aside for you, but it is also disrespectful to your peers who are trying to get in to see an advisor and could have used your appointment time.

If you have made an advising appointment and find that you cannot keep it, please cancel at least 24 hours in advance so another student can take your appointment. You should cancel by calling (352) 392-1519. Remember, we do not make same-day appointments.

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

5.	EVENT: Honors Without Borders Ultimate Tournament:
A co-ed 7v7 charity ultimate tournament for players of all skill-levels, the Honors Without Borders Ultimate Tournament will take place Saturday, April 19 at Hume Field beginning at 3:15pm. The $10 per UF student and $15 per non-UF student collections will go directly to the Cancer Research Institute (http://www.cancerresearch.org). Winners should expect to receive tournament shirts! To sign-up, edit your team, and submit your team name, follow this link: http://bit.ly/1dplLDz

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

6.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Department of Political Science Film Series: A Time to Kill:
The Department of Political Science is hosting a film series for faculty, graduate students, and undergraduate students. All films will be shown in 034 Anderson from 6:00-9:00pm. The idea is to have a relatively informal venue with relatively entertaining films, which nonetheless may have more political significance than the lens through which we may view them when for pure entertainment.

There is an historical trajectory suggested in this film series, as well as a common theme regarding changes in state power, and in the relationship between state/economic/social actors, over time. For more information, please contact the film series coordinator, Patricia Woods, at [log in to unmask]

Monday, March 31: Film - A Time to Kill. A race- and gender-charged legal battle in a Southern court in the United States, c. 1980s. Dr. Gwendolyn Zoharah Simmons, Assistant Professor, Department of Religion and Affiliate, Center for Women's Studies and Gender Research, will give introductory remarks.

7.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: DC Gator Club Scholarship for UF Students:
The DC Gator Club will be awarding two scholarships in the amount of $2,000 each to University of Florida students with internships in the DC area during the 2014 summer term. A $1,000 scholarship will be awarded to Fall / Spring interns. Scholarships will be awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement as well as professional promise and a commitment to Gator Nation. Consideration will be given for the additional financial burden on those who have unpaid internships, but all Gator interns are encouraged to apply. The applicant's online application, resume and unofficial transcript must be submitted by the application deadline, April 30.

The application is available at www.dcgators.com under Scholarships. Results will be announced on May 23. Winners may be asked to send official transcripts before awards are granted.  Feel free to contact Lucy Fort or Sharyn Aufenanger at [log in to unmask] with questions.

8.	SCHOLARSHIP / AWARD: Outstanding Freshmen Leadership Awards:
Calling all UF freshmen leaders: Be sure to apply to UF Savant Leadership Honorary's Outstanding Freshmen Leadership Award. More information can be found at www.savantuf.org

Applications can be accessed here http://goo.gl/9GkKwN

9.	INTERNSHIP: Boys and Girls Club of Alachua County Summer Internships:
The Boys & Girls Club of Alachua County is a non-profit organization whose mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us the most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.

We are currently accepting applications for Summer 2014 internships. Our internship programs give students the chance to work in their field and build valuable hands-on experience. There are a wide range of field experience opportunities for students with different majors and career interests. Applications are due April 21.

The Boys & Girls Club of Alachua County offers many different internship positions such as:
Administrative, Marketing, Public Relations, Program Assistant, Event Planning, Outreach, Fundraising, Volunteer Management, Resource Development, and Webmaster / Media.

To apply, please visit: www.bgcacinternship.com

For more information about the Boys & Girls Club of America, visit: www.bgca.org

10.	RESEARCH: April Undergraduate Research Seminar:
The April Undergraduate Research Seminar will be taking place on Wednesday, April 2 at 5:30pm, in Leigh Hall Room 309. Lindsey Backman from Dr. Kevin Brown's group in the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and Matthew Boles from Dr. Juan-Carlos Molleda's group in the Department of Public Relations will be presenting their undergraduate research. Pizza and beverages will be provided. All are welcome to attend.

We are currently looking for speakers to present for the following Summer and Fall semesters' seminars: June 4, July 2, August 6, September 3,  October 1, November 5, and December 3. More details can be found on our website, http://cnem.chem.ufl.edu/undergraduate_research_seminar.html

11.	RESEARCH: Summer Research Internship in Agroecology:
Seeking motivated, enthusiastic undergraduate student who wants to gain independent research experience. Mid-May to Mid-August, full-time paid position ($10-13/hour depending on experience and qualifications). Projects will combine field surveys, laboratory work, and development of outreach materials related to pest management in alfalfa and wheat. Position will be based in Laramie, WY, with travel required throughout southeastern WY. Laramie is located near beautiful recreation areas and is a nice place to spend the summer.

Required: Driver's license; availability 40 hours M - F from 8:00am-5:00pm; willingness to work outdoors in sunny, hot, difficult conditions; willingness and interest in working with insects; ability to work independently, with attention to detail, and communicate effectively; basic computer skills.

Preferred: Major related to agriculture or life sciences; previous coursework or research experience in entomology; interest and enthusiasm for developing well-designed outreach materials for agricultural producers (includes written, video, and web-based materials).

To apply, submit cover letter explaining why you want the position and a resume to Randa Jabbour at [log in to unmask] Phone interviews begin first week of April.

LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

12.	LEADERSHIP: Servant Leader Roundtable (NEW POSTING):
Do you have suggestions about the current state of the University of Florida's leadership and service programs? Attend this year's Student Leader Roundtable! This semesterly event gives all campus leadership and service organizations an opportunity to provide input on the University's leadership and service programming, examine ways to increase collaboration among similar organizations across campus, and determine the best support the Center for Leadership and Service can provide to their organizations. This Servant Leader Roundtable is scheduled for April 8 from 6:30-8:30pm. RSVP at http://bit.ly/OolhSg

13.	VOLUNTEER: Green Energy Volunteer Program - WindAid (NEW POSTING):
Are you interested in volunteering abroad? Do you want to go to Peru to construct wind turbines? Then this is what you have to do:

WindAid is a social entrepreneurship project that provides wind turbines to communities in Peru who are in need of electricity. Volunteers who join our WindAid placement program get to build and install a wind turbine in just four weeks. It is the financial contribution and work of the volunteers during the WindAid program that covers the cost of the wind turbine and installation such that the completed wind turbine is presented to the recipient community for free. We also work in partnership with local communities and other non-governmental organizations and charities to identify suitable recipients of the wind turbines manufactured by our volunteers.
You do not need to have any special skills to participate!

Check our webpage: http://www.windaid.org/home.html

14.	VOLUNTEER: Conversation Partners Needed:
Would you like to help an international student practice English? Then, volunteer as a Conversation Partner through the English Language Institute at UF! No foreign language experience is needed. The program is designed to help students practice English in a friendly setting as well as meet Americans and make friends. Volunteers should plan on spending about an hour each week with their partner. Pairing runs until the end of the semester.  Most of the remaining students speak Portuguese and Arabic. For more information, please email Lauren your name, email, phone number, gender, and preferences to [log in to unmask]

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

15.	ANNOUNCEMENT: UF Mascot Auditions:
Do you have what it takes to be a mascot here at UF? Auditions for the 2014-2015 University of Florida Mascot Program will be held on March 28-29 in the Champion's Club at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. For more information on auditions visit Gatorzone.com/Spirit.

16.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Friday, April 4:
- University Math Society at 4:00pm in Little Hall, room 101. Focus: Upcoming Gator Mathematics Competition, volunteering opportunities, and the end of year Integration Bee. Elections are coming up.

17.	EVENT: "Where Dreams Come True" Floridance Spring Showcase (NEW POSTING):
Be our guest and support UF's first student-run dance company, Floridance, as we go the distance in our showcase filled with our incredibly talented company members. Our "Where Dreams Come True" Spring Showcase will take you to a whole new world. The performance will be at the Phillips Center for Performing Arts when the clock strikes 7:30pm on Sunday, April 6.

Pieces range in styles from classical ballet, to hip hop, to lyrical, to contemporary and more, and they are all choreographed by our own amazing company members. The show is completely free. We promise it'll be supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, and you won't want to miss out!

Flower sales this year will go towards our Relay for Life team, benefiting the American Cancer Society.

18.	EVENT: Work It, Gators:
Trying to fight off the freshman fifteen? Starting to go from weekly gym visits to monthly ones? Then, get off of Netflix, get on your feet, and come on out to RUB Entertainment's fitness event, Work It, Gators! Get moving with our Zumba session, cool down with some smoothies, relax with massages and yoga, and enjoy free water bottles and gym gear. Bring your friends and kickstart that beach body. See you at the Grand Ballroom at 8:00pm on Tuesday, April 1 (this ain't no joke!)

19.	EVENT: Dance-a-thon for Gainesville Equality Youth:
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Affairs at UF proudly presents our first ever Dance-a-thon. Join us on Sunday, March 30 in the Ustler Hall Atrium for 3 hours of hip-hop fitness and Zumba dancing. Sliding-scale cash donations will be accepted at the door. Most events like this charge $10-12. All money we raise at the event will directly go to Gainesville Equality Youth (GEY), a local LGBTQ youth group.

Doors open at 10:30am, and we will only allow people in until we reach capacity, so be sure to get there early. The event will run from 11:00am to 2:00pm. Be sure to wear sneakers and comfortable clothing, and bring a water bottle to stay hydrated!

For more information, please check out our Facebook event page. https://www.facebook.com/events/414847145318256/

20.	EVENT: Gator Allies Gender Identity Workshop:
Celebrate all women this Women's History Month by learning more about gender! This special Gator Allies workshop will focus on gender identity and expression, and will discuss the wonderful trans* community. Join WSA and LB Hannahs from LGBT Affairs on Monday, March 31 at 6:00pm in the Matthew's Suite for an evening of education and inclusivity.

21.	EVENT: Inch by Inch:
Please join the UF Arts in Health's Inch X Inch 2014 on Wednesday, April 2 from 6:00-9:00pm at the Civic Media Center.

This unique charity event offers the opportunity for Gainesville community members to purchase original pieces of art made by professional artists and students. Each piece of art is priced based on the size, in other words, it is sold "by the inch." Light hors d'oeuvres will be offered, as well as musical entertainment by local musicians. Inch X Inch will benefit the Arts in Medicine Program in the Congo.

Questions? Contact us at [log in to unmask]

22.	EVENT: Stomp the Swamp Presents: A Benefit for Dancers Responding to AIDS:
On Friday, April 4 at 8:00pm, Stomp the Swamp, a rhythm tap group, along with Belly Gators, Danza, ASU, Ailigeadar Irish Dance Company and Independance, will put on a dance showcase benefitting the organization Dancers Responding to AIDS. The event will be held at the P.K. Yonge auditorium.

*					*					*					*
You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html

To submit an announcement for posting, please complete the online form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/HonorsDaily.aspx

Connect to the Honors Program -