HONORS-L 2014

Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:47:18 +0000

text/plain

University Honors Program, 343 Infirmary, 352-392-1519, http://www.honors.ufl.edu

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Wednesday, August 27, 2014

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all members of the UF Honors Program.

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Faces in the Honors Office:
2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Photos Needed of Your Summer Academic Adventures:
3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Courses (HC):
4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Completion Requirements (HC):
5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Advising This Week (TODAY):
6.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: DAA 4930 - Choreographing Africa (HC) (NEW POSTING):
7.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: PHA 3931 - Magic Bullets (HC):
8.	EVENT: Peace Corps Info Session for Honors Gators:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Join the Honors Football Block (H-Box):
10.	EVENT: Honors Involvement Conference (HC, H-Box) (NEW POSTING):
11.	EVENT: Alta Gracia: Human Rights in Garment Factories:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: UF International Review (NEW POSTING):
13.	RESEARCH: Weight Loss Program (HC):
14.	INTERNSHIP: Florida Organic Growers (HC):
15.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Program Evaluation/Assessment - Federal Work Study:
16.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: America Reads Tutor Position - Federal Work Study:
LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
17.	VOLUNTEER: UF vs Idaho Football: Volunteer for TailGator Recycling (NEW POSTING):
18.	VOLUNTEER: Be a MUSE At the Harn Museum of Art at UF:
19.	VOLUNTEER: MentorUF Application:
20.	LEADERSHIP: Gator Plunge Site Leader Positions Open:
21.	LEADERSHIP: Florida Alternative Breaks Site Leader Applications (HC):
22.	LEADERSHIP: ACCENT Staff Applications Available:
23.	LEADERSHIP: Student Government Cabinet Assistant Director Applications:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
24.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Association of Future Physician-Scientists (NEW POSTING):
25.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Stomp the Swamp Tap Auditions:
26.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, August 28:
27.	EVENT: RecStravaganza (NEW POSTING):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: New Faces in the Honors Office:
We have several new faces in the Honors Office this fall.

Dr. Mark Law has joined our office as the new Honors Director. He comes to us from the College of Engineering at UF, and was an honors student leader at Iowa State University. He continues to be involved with their Honors Program through their advisory board.

Kristy Spear joined our office at the end of April as our new advisor. She brings a wealth of experience in career development and human resources, as she formerly worked with the UF Career Resource Center. Kristy will be working with all of our honors student organizations and handling all walk-in advising hours (after drop/add).

We have two new student assistants: Lexi Cunio and Mamtha Jaswanthkumar. You will meet them at the front desk in 343 Infirmary when you check in for walk-in advising or appointments, or if you call our office.

2.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Photos Needed of Your Summer Academic Adventures:
Did you study abroad this summer? What about an internship or cool summer program? Would you like to be included in our "Postcards from Honors" album on the UF Honors Facebook page? Please send ONE photo from your recent academic adventures to Dr. Melissa Johnson at [log in to unmask] . Please include your name and location of your pic in the e-mail, and Postcards in the subject line.

3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Courses (HC):
The easiest way to earn academic points towards Honors Completion Requirements is to take honors courses! We still have seats available in honors courses, so please check your schedule to see if you can accommodate even a 1-credit (Un)Common Reading Course.

For course descriptions, visit http://www.honors.ufl.edu/courses/CoursesFall2014.aspx

For course syllabi, visit http://bit.ly/1kXS5kc

4.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Completion Requirements (HC):
Honors Completion Requirements for all students who entered the program starting in Summer B 2012 or later are located here: http://bit.ly/HjuFms

Requirements for students who entered the program prior to that date are located here: http://bit.ly/1cusdrL , although those students may opt to follow the new requirements.

Honors advisors will not be able to answer questions about program completion requirements during drop/add week. We will hold information sessions about completing the program for graduating seniors later in the semester. The deadline for fall graduates to submit your portfolio for the Honors Medallion (those following the new requirements) is Friday, December 5 at 4:30pm in 343 Infirmary.

5.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Advising This Week (TODAY):
During drop/add week (Aug 25-29), the Honors Office will not be taking any advising appointments. We will have walk-in advising hours in 343 Infirmary for students with *quick* ( less than 5 minute) questions related to registration.

Please note the following:

- Honors advisors cannot add students to any classes that are full. Please continue checking ISIS if you are trying to find a specific course. Also note, Honors advisors will not search for seats in courses for you.

- Honors advisors cannot override drop/add appointment times. For more information about drop/add appointment times and other registration tips, visit http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/soc/regtips.html

- If you are having trouble registering for an open course because ISIS says you have not met the prerequisite, but you know you have actually met the prerequisite, please contact the department that offers the course for assistance.

- If you need a review of requirements (including Honors Program requirements), need to rearrange AP/IB credits, or want to discuss multiple major ideas, long-term planning or undergraduate opportunities, *please* wait until after drop/add week is over to meet with an advisor. We will not be able to answer these questions during drop/add week and instead will ask you to make an appointment at a later time.

Depending on your advising question, it may be more appropriate for you to see your college / major advisor. Questions about specific details of your major or course content should be referred there. Those advising contacts are listed here: http://www.ufadvising.ufl.edu/advisers.aspx

Walk-in Schedule:
Monday, August 25: 10am-12pm (Johnson, Garner); 2-4pm (Spear, Johnson).
Tuesday, August 26: 10am-12pm (Garner, Spear); 2-4pm (Johnson, Garner).
Wednesday, August 27: 10am-12pm (Johnson, Spear); 2-4pm (Garner).
Thursday, August 28: 10am-12pm (Garner); 2-4pm (Spear).
Friday, August 29: 10am-12pm (Spear); 2-4pm (Johnson).

6.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: DAA 4930 - Choreographing Africa (HC) (NEW POSTING):
Seats are now available in DAA 4930: Choreographing Africa: Inheritance, Imagination, and Innovation, section 099A. Taught TR 8-9 in CON 0219 by Dr. Joan Frosch, Elizabeth Wood Dunlevie Honors Term Professor for 2014-2015, this is a great opportunity that shouldn't be missed!

Through dance, choreographers form and dissolve structures of thought and feeling in time and space. While stage and screen are the usual sites of choreographic works, 21st century choreographers like Faustin Linyekula (Democratic Republic of Congo), Gregory Maqoma (South Africa), Panaibra Gabriel (Mozambique), Lacina Coulibaly (Burkina Faso), and Germaine Acogny (Senegal), exceed these frames. In this class, we will explore the dynamics and interplay of artistic prowess and social activism of leading African experimentalists. Inheritance, imagination, and innovation guide these choreographers as they shape their dance companies, construct performance networks, and determine artistic content and modes of transmission. Their artistic processes deepen values of responsible citizenry. Asking difficult questions, crafting independent voices, taking strategic risks, persevering in the face of odds, collaborating and forming support networks, and imagining and embodying change not only constitutes the requisite skillset for dance-making but sets forth key apparatus for democracy-building. I encourage students interested in global or social issues and/or students who wish to learn more about contemporary performance to take the course!

A note about how we will conduct class...Following the lead of the artists who inspired this class, we will prioritize crafting our individual voices, move beyond the typical frames to pose questions of our readings and film viewings, and invite into our discussions challenging issues that may arise. The class will be primarily a seminar format. We will also have approximately four special studio experiences and two artist interviews sessions (these will be pre-arranged for the class) to help us-through the experiences of a selection of the choreographers themselves- to recognize how inheritance, imagination, and innovation compose Africa today. No previous dance experience is expected or required; your final project may be presented as a paper or a creative project. The choice is yours!

7.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: PHA 3931 - Magic Bullets (HC):
Seats are now available in PHA 3931: Honors Magic Bullets, section 19HC. Taught MWF 6th period in HPNP G210 by Dr. Michael McKenzie from the College of Pharmacy, Magic Bullets provides an overview of the issues associated with pharmaceutical research. Issues include: drug discovery process, clinical research, drug tragedies, government laws and regulations, pharmaceutical care and drug efficacy versus risk. In addition, specific drug research by pharmacy faculty is presented and discussed. This is a great option for pre-health students, or students considered a pharmacy track!

8.	EVENT: Peace Corps Info Session for Honors Gators:
Be part of a new generation of leaders making a difference. As a Peace Corps Volunteer, you will work directly with communities on their most pressing issues while gaining a competitive advantage in today's global economy with international experience, cross-cultural understanding, and fluency in a foreign language.

Peace Corps experience can springboard careers in the government, nonprofit, academic, and private sectors. Peace Corps is a life defining leadership experience where Volunteers live, learn and work in a local community for 27 months in one of 65 countries that we currently serve. We offer six program areas: education, health, youth development, agriculture, environment and business/information communication technology.

Join us at this Honors information session to speak with regional recruiter Chad Chernet to learn about Volunteer experiences, have your questions answered, and gain tips to guide you through the application process. The info session will take place on Monday, September 8, from 3:00-4:00pm in 302 Infirmary.

Take the next step towards Peace Corps service. Explore Volunteer openings that are now available. Our Southeast regional staff of recruiters, all of whom served in the Peace Corps themselves, can tell you what it's really like to Volunteer, whether or not you qualify, and how to work through the application process. Peace Corps recruiters are your partners in the journey to becoming a Volunteer.

Volunteer openings: http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/learn/openings/

Application: http://www.peacecorps.gov/apply/

Southeast Regional blog: http://peacecorpsse.blogspot.com/p/southeast-regional-recruiting-office.html

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/260655000794785/

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

9.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Join the Honors Football Block (H-Box):
Looking for a fun and exciting group to sit with at football games? Then the Honors Football Block is place for you!

Information on how to join the block is posted in our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/227707640688636/

The deadline to sign up for the first game was yesterday. However, you can join at any point in the year.

If you have any questions, please feel free to use the Facebook group to ask or contact Brian Dinenberg ([log in to unmask])

10.	EVENT: Honors Involvement Conference (HC, H-Box) (NEW POSTING):
Looking for your niche here at UF? Want to get involved on campus but don't know where to start? Come to the *free* 2014 Honors Involvement Conference on Sunday, September 21! It is a great way for students to learn about how to get involved around the UF campus, as well as in the Gainesville area.

Students will be able to attend interactive, informative sessions about Internships & Resume tips, Study Abroad and International Engagement, Leadership & Service, as well as Research. There will also be sessions held to find out How to Survive Honors, to learn more about Getting Active and UF Athletics, about the Gainesville scene, and Staying Cultural.

This is a wonderful opportunity for students to network and meet people in organizations they may want to join. Several organizations will be represented at the conference with information on how get plugged in.

Attendance at the Conference will also earn you an Enrichment Point toward Honors Completion, as well as an H-Box Honors card.

Breakfast will be provided to all participants.

Please Pre-Register at http://bit.ly/1zEiANc

Registration begins at 8:45am on the second floor of the Reitz Union. The Conference will begin promptly at 9:15am in the Reitz Union Auditorium.

There will be a walk-over from Hume at 8:40am. Meet at the arches.

After you register, be on the look-out for an email with your tickets and a pre-conference survey regarding your session preferences.

11.	EVENT: Alta Gracia: Human Rights in Garment Factories:
Honors Without Borders is co-hosting an event with the Spanish Department and the Caribbean Students Association on Thursday, September 4 at 6:15pm in 220 Florida Gym. We are bringing in an organization called Solidarity Ignite, which works towards fair working conditions for factory workers. There will be two factory workers from the Dominican Republic who work in a factory where they make collegiate apparel (including clothes for UF!) who will be speaking and taking questions.

For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/527948527306995

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: UF International Review (NEW POSTING):
The University of Florida International Review is a student-run and student-edited quarterly journal of international affairs. It is the official undergraduate research publication of the Dept. of Political Science. Students interested in joining the editorial board of the UFIR should send an email including their resume and a sample of their writing to [log in to unmask] We are looking for talented writers with an interest in international relations, preferably with previous publishing experience. Please email us if you have any questions.

13.	RESEARCH: Weight Loss Program (HC):
The Weight Loss Program in the Department of Clinical and Health Psychology needs student volunteers. This program is an NIH-funded, 5-year multi-site study based at UF. It's a great experience for health science majors and nutrition students. Volunteers will screen participants and help prepare research materials, as well as help with general lab activities. They will receive possible experience with weight management intervention treatment groups if qualified. Must be available to work 6 hours per week.

First-year students are welcome to apply, depending on your work history, schedule, and past volunteer experience.

If interested, please send a resume and cover letter to Meena Shankar at [log in to unmask]

14.	INTERNSHIP: Florida Organic Growers (HC):
Florida Organic Growers is seeking interns for the fall semester. Check out our website at http://www.foginfo.org/get-involved/jobs-internships/ for more information.

15.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: Program Evaluation/Assessment - Federal Work Study:
Intercultural Engagement in Multicultural & Diversity Affairs is seeking an undergraduate Federal Work Study student currently enrolled in statistics, math, education, or a related field for a newly created Assessment and Evaluation position.

Desired Qualifications:
- Proficient with Microsoft Office
- Some proficiency with SPSS or SAS software
- Effective communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Strong work ethic

Responsibilities:
- Assist Intercultural Engagement and Multicultural & Diversity Affairs with the development and implementation of an assessment plan for all programming and services provided by the department
- Assist with campus climate survey question development for specific populations
- Assist with analyzing raw data using SPSS or SAS
- Develop 1-page summary with information and charts that share our story
- Assist with collecting, analyzing and reporting on Intercultural Engagement programs/event evaluations
- Assist the Intercultural Engagement Director with other assessment projects and responsibilities

Apply online at http://bit.ly/1twagiw . If you have any questions, please contact Jarrod Cruz, Director of Intercultural Engagement at [log in to unmask] or 352-294-3549.

16.	JOB OPPORTUNITY: America Reads Tutor Position - Federal Work Study:
America Reads at UF is a collaborative project designed to provide literacy tutoring to at-risk students in the Gainesville community.  Tutoring takes place at a variety of locations, including local schools and community centers. Paid Positions are available for students enrolled at the University of Florida who are eligible to receive Federal Work Study as a form of financial aid. Visit http://education.ufl.edu/america-reads/ for more information about America Reads. Contact America Reads at [log in to unmask] for application details.

LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

17.	VOLUNTEER: UF vs Idaho Football: Volunteer for TailGator Recycling (NEW POSTING):
The football season is here, and that means that the Office of Sustainability is looking for volunteers to help with TailGator Recycling this Saturday, August 30!

Shifts are at 11:00am, 1:00pm, and 3:00pm. As always, volunteer positions are first come, first served. You can sign up via this link through a survey: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9tB3lE9em9yu1HD

Volunteers will report to the left of McCarty A (if you are facing the building from the North Lawn). You will be able to spot the Office interns and staff members in their Green Team shirts.

An informational email will be sent out later this week for those who sign up. We look forward to greening the campus with you, and we hope to see you Saturday. Go Gators!

18.	VOLUNTEER: Be a MUSE At the Harn Museum of Art at UF:
For creative, energetic and dynamic students, the MUSE program offers the opportunity to share your love of fun and passion for art with others. MUSEs (Museum University Student Educators) are one-semester volunteers who create and present interactive and engaging experiences for museum visitors.

Each Fall, Spring & Summer term, a select group of 10-15 students from diverse academic backgrounds is selected to work together to imagine and produce programs unlike any others at the museum. MUSE programs have included Art off the Wall, when MUSEs shared their interpretation of works in the Harn collection through costumes and drama, surrealist storytelling, and interpretive musical presentations. In other words, as a MUSE you get to reinvent how we look at art and experience the museum!

MUSE planning meetings are Thursdays from 3:30-5:00pm, and MUSEs take the stage on Museum Nights, the second Thursday of each month.

Download an application at:  http://www.harn.ufl.edu/education/MUSEApp.pdf (apply now, applications considered until the program is full)

Feel free to bring your questions to Eric Segal, Education Curator of Academic Programs at 352.392.9826 x2115; [log in to unmask]

19.	VOLUNTEER: MentorUF Application:
Through MentorUF's four distinct mentoring groups, mentors meet with their student(s) weekly, spending time working on academics and doing fun activities. MentorUF provides opportunities to mentor anywhere form 30 minutes to two hours per week. They can work with your schedule to find the right time for you. Application Deadline is August 29.

For more information, visit: http://www.leadershipandservice.ufl.edu/programs/mentoruf/

20.	LEADERSHIP: Gator Plunge Site Leader Positions Open:
Gator Plunge is a single-day service project where hundreds of volunteers will branch out into various areas of Gainesville to participate in exciting service projects. Service projects will include working with animals, art and culture, youth development, elder care, environmental issues, homelessness and housing, and much more. Students will be able to learn about service opportunities in Gainesville, meet new people and network with campus leaders, and experience their community first-hand.

If you want to take on a leadership role at Gator Plunge, applying to be a Site Leader is a great way. Site Leaders are responsible for leading participants through the day at their service site. They get to lead reflection activities and keep in contact with the site to be sure everything will run smoothly.

http://www.leadershipandservice.ufl.edu/programs/days_of_service/gator_plunge/

21.	LEADERSHIP: Florida Alternative Breaks Site Leader Applications (HC):
Florida Alternative Breaks, or FAB, is a University of Florida student-led organization that sends out service-learning trips based on specific social issues during academic breaks. We believe education, strong direct service, and reflection are among several key components that set the FAB experience apart in terms of growth and impact, both for our participants and the communities we serve.

The Site Leader position is a time-intensive, demanding, and rewarding enterprise. Site Leaders prepare throughout the entire year in order to lead their trip over academic breaks. We hold our Site Leaders to high standards, and seek dedicated individuals who will delve into their social issue and emerge as well-rounded, educated leaders. Each individual will be paired up with a co-Site Leader and matched with a specified trip and issue.

Site Leader applications for all seasons are due September 17 by 5:00pm.
http://www.leadershipandservice.ufl.edu/programs/florida_alternative_breaks/site_leaders/

22.	LEADERSHIP: ACCENT Staff Applications Available:
ACCENT Speakers Bureau is the largest student-run speakers bureau in the nation. Some of our past speakers include Mark Cuban, Billy Joel, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Maya Angelou, and Seth Meyers. Our staff handles event productions, promotions, and much more!

If you're interested in getting involved, our staff application is available at http://www.sg.ufl.edu/Applications/Staff, and is due on September 4. Please contact [log in to unmask] with any questions.

23.	LEADERSHIP: Student Government Cabinet Assistant Director Applications:
Apply to UF Student Government Cabinet today! The application for the 2014-2015 Assistant Director positions within SG Cabinet is now available. To find a list of SG Cabinet Departments, please visit http://bit.ly/sgcabpositions

Applications are due Friday, September 5, at 5:00pm. To apply, please visit http://bit.ly/sgcab1415.

For any additional questions, please contact the Student Body Vice President, Vivan Nguyen, at [log in to unmask]

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

24.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Association of Future Physician-Scientists (NEW POSTING):
Want to be a doctor? Enjoy conducting research? Then join the Association of Future Physician-Scientists! We are a new organization that is seeking interested members who want guidance, information, and camaraderie with fellow students who are also seeking this rare career path.
For more info, please email Juan Serrano at [log in to unmask]

25.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Stomp the Swamp Tap Auditions:
On Sunday, August 31, Stomp the Swamp, UF's one and only rhythm tap team will be holding auditions. We will meet outside of the Reitz Grand Ballroom at 5:00pm.

26.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, August 28:
- Biomedical Engineering Society at 5:30pm in BMS JG-32. Focus: An overview of BMES plans for the semester and a guest speaker from the BME department. Free pizza. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/events/271771359680787/

- Institute of Industrial Engineers at 6:15pm in CSE E119. Focus: Semester preview, football block registration, Career Showcase crash course details, resume critiquing specifics, and more. Free Publix subs. Contact: [log in to unmask]

27.	EVENT: RecStravaganza (NEW POSTING):
RecStravaganza, the largest RecSports event of the year, is coming up this Thursday, August 28! Come learn about opportunities and programs offered through UF RecSports at our event from 6:00-8:00pm at Southwest Rec. You can receive a free RecSports t-shirt just by learning about our programs at different stations around SWRC.

There will be free chair massages, fitness demonstrations, Sport Club exhibitions, weight room orientations, free food and more.

*					*					*					*
You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html

To submit an announcement for posting, please complete the online form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/HonorsDaily.aspx

Connect to the Honors Program -