HONORS-L 2014

Honors Daily Opportunities List

UF Honors Program <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:11:57 +0000

text/plain

University Honors Program, 343 Infirmary, 352-392-1519, http://www.honors.ufl.edu

Honors Daily Opportunities List, Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Honors Daily Opportunities List is an official UF e-publication sent to all members of the UF Honors Program.

Table of Contents

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS
1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Get Up and Give for Honors (TODAY):
2.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Introduction to 3D Printing Workshops:
3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Check ISIS / Spring Registration Prep:
4.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Admissions Course Applications:
5.	EVENT: Honors Faculty Fair:
HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS
6.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Dance Marathon Team (NEW POSTING):
7.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Family Roundup Events:
ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
8.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: 'Megalodon: Largest Shark that Ever Lived' Exhibit (NEW POSTING):
9.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Healthy Civic, Campus, and Community Initiative:
10.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: College Code Camp for Women:
11.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Elegance of Science Contest:
12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Law School Personal Statement Workshop (TODAY):
13.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "From the Forests to the Farm - Siting Environmental Performance in the Wild and the Cultivated" (TODAY):
14.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "Outsourcing Justice: Africa and the Politics of the International Criminal Court":
15.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Law School Application Process Workshop:
16.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Recruitment Office Returns to UF:
17.	INTERNSHIP: Omninox Publishing Graphics Design Internship (NEW POSTING):
LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
18.	VOLUNTEER: Volunteer with the TailGator Recycling Team this Saturday (NEW POSTING):
19.	VOLUNTEER: Sustainability Hut (NEW POSTING):
20.	VOLUNTEER: Volunteer with Alzheimer's Outreach Organization:
21.	LEADERSHIP: Applications for STAAR's Think Tank (NEW POSTING):
22.	LEADERSHIP: Student Conduct Committee Applications:
STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS
23.	ANNOUNCEMENT: LGBT Affairs October Lunch Series (NEW POSTING):
24.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Arab Heritage Week (TODAY):
25.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Wednesday, October 15:
26.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, October 16:
27.	EVENT: Sandra Abdalian: SWE Fall Speaker Series (NEW POSTING):
28.	EVENT: Register for Mini Medical School Benefiting the Equal Access Clinic (NEW POSTING):

HONORS OFFICE ANNOUNCEMENTS

1.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Get Up and Give for Honors (TODAY):
All week we are participating in the University's Get Up and Give annual fundraising campaign centered around UF Homecoming. Last year, we used the campaign to raise funds for that awesome piano in Hume!

We use funds raised year-round to support Honors Gators to attend events such as Gatorship, Partners in the Parks, H-Camp, and travel to present conferences. We've also used those funds to purchase the medallions that students receive when they complete the Honors Program, those really neat H-Boxes and gold star pins, and to sponsor our annual holiday party at the President's House and those great Sweet Dreams ice cream giveaways at the end of the semester.

With this year's GUAG campaign, we are focusing on recognizing our Honors Alumni - including our students as they are preparing to graduate - by creating a special Honors Alumni lapel pin. You probably don't want to wear your medallion on a job or grad school interview, but you can showcase your Honors pride with a classy pin, right?

We need your help to make GUAG a success this year! Please share our campaign link with those who support our cause. Donations start at just $10. That's a trip to Chipotle with a side of guac. Instead of guac, GUAG! http://GetUpAndGive.ufl.edu/HON

2.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Introduction to 3D Printing Workshops:
In collaboration with the Marston Science Library, we are hosting two Introduction to 3D Printing Workshops for Honors students in early November. You must register in advance at http://apps.uflib.ufl.edu/Registration/ . Look on the schedule for "Introduction to 3D Printing"

Dates are: November 3 from 10:00-11:00am and November 7 from 2:00-3:00pm. Registration is limited to the first 40 students. Both workshops will take place in the new Visualization Room on the ground floor of Marston. Please bring your own device for the workshop (laptop or tablet) so you can access the content used during the workshop. There will not be devices in the room for you to use.

Please do not register if you do not plan to attend, as space is very limited!

Creating an object for 3D printing is much easier than you'd imagine, and this workshop will show you how it's done. It will also give you the tools necessary to participate in our upcoming "Hack Your Room" 3D printing contest later this semester!

3.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Check ISIS / Spring Registration Prep:
Spring registration will be here sooner than you think, so now is a great time for first year students in particular to check ISIS for holds and other information. Most of these holds cannot be removed by an honors advisor, so you don't want to wait until the last minute to take care of them. Early registration for first and second year honors students takes place October 30 and 31 - this date will sneak up on you! Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/310095185856869/

Spring schedule of courses: http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/soc/201501/all/

Spring honors course descriptions (more will be added as they become available): http://www.honors.ufl.edu/courses/CoursesSpring2015.aspx

First-year students should have an alcohol education hold on their record - this hold will not be removed until you have completed the online alcohol education seminar. For more information about this hold, visit https://www.dso.ufl.edu/nsfp/first-year-experience/alcohol-education/

Engineering majors now have an advising hold - you must meet with an **engineering** advisor (**not honors**) to get your engineering advising hold removed. To view the list of engineering advisors by department, visit http://www.eng.ufl.edu/students/advising/who-is-my-advisor/

Other majors may also require you to meet with an advisor *in your department* so keep checking for these types of holds, as you can't wait until the last minute to meet with an advisor.

Also check for other holds, including financial holds, admissions credentials holds (usually a missing HS transcript or dual enrollment transcript), and emergency contact or local address holds. Staying on top of holds will make the registration process much smoother. Note, you will not be able to register for classes until your holds are removed. No advisor is able to override that for you, not even for early registration. You are responsible for taking care of your holds in a timely manner.

While you are on ISIS, verify that UF has received your AP/IB/AICE scores - go to My Record -> Test Scores. If you do not see your scores listed, you will need to submit those scores to UF as soon as possible. Without those scores, you may have difficulty registering for courses that need those credits as prerequisites, or you may be considered off-track if you are counting those credits as tracking courses. Your spring registration start time may be impacted by the number of credit hours you have as well. If you have missing scores, you may contact College Board / IB / AICE to have them resend your scores. Alternatively, you may be able to talk to Admissions about how to verify your scores from your original reports. Please contact them directly for further clarification.

4.	HONORS COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Admissions Course Applications:
Applications are now being accepted for the IDH 4905: Honors Admissions course, Wednesdays 7th period, for the spring semester. Students in this 1-credit class will read the 2000+ application essays from incoming freshmen applying to the Honors Program. We will spend the first half of the term reviewing old essays and developing rubrics for evaluating the new essays. Students in the class also develop some of the application questions.

Students will also serve as reviewers for the lateral admissions essays during the month of November 2014.

To apply for the course, please respond to the following prompt in a 1-page, single-spaced essay: Develop an interesting essay topic that you think would be suitable for applicants to the UF Honors Program, and then write your response to it. Attach your application in an email to Dr. Johnson at [log in to unmask] by 5:00pm on Thursday, October 23. Please include your name and UFID on your application. Students selected will be notified by email on October 29. Lateral admission reviews will begin one week following notification.

Students who participated in the course last year may enroll again in the online section without submitting an application. If interested, please email Dr. Johnson by 5:00pm on October 23.

5.	EVENT: Honors Faculty Fair:
Check out the Honors Faculty Fair to meet with instructors who are teaching spring Honors courses, learn about positions to be tutors or teaching assistants, connect with research opportunities, and find potential study abroad programs.

The Honors Faculty Fair takes place on Wednesday, October 22 from 4:00-6:00pm in Smathers Library (East), room 100. Light refreshments will be provided. Presented by the Honors Special Events Interns and the Honors Office.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1571349903088858/

HONORS ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS

6.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Dance Marathon Team (NEW POSTING):
Think you have what it takes to stand for 26.2 hours, FTK (for the kids!)? Join the Honors Dance Marathon team! To be considered an official member, please register to fundraise by going to floridadm.kintera.org, clicking on "Create Donor Page", and then "Join an Organization". Our team name is UF Honors Program. All members must raise at least $1!

For more information on upcoming meetings and events, join our Facebook page, "UF Honors Program Dance Marathon Team", or contact delegates Vanessa and Kate at [log in to unmask]

7.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Honors Family Roundup Events:
The Honors Ambassadors, along with other Honors student organizations, are hosting several events as part of the University's overall Family Weekend, from October 24-26. Whether or not you and your family are planning to attend the official Family Weekend events, we invite you to attend the Honors Family Roundup!

Friday, October 24: Meet at Hume Commons at 6:30pm to walk over to the UF Soccer Game vs. Tennessee

Saturday, October 25: Join us for the NERD 5K at the Gale Lemerand parking lot starting at 8:00am. Dress up like a Nerd to walk/run the 5K with us, or come out and support the runners!

Sunday, October 26: Visit Hume Commons at 1:00pm for an afternoon of fun, food, music, and activities! We will have outdoor games like corn hole to play.

ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES

8.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: 'Megalodon: Largest Shark that Ever Lived' Exhibit (NEW POSTING):
The largest shark ever known is returning to Gainesville! Be consumed with awe at the Florida Museum of Natural History's featured exhibit about megalodon, a dominant marine predator that once cruised the world's oceans. Walk through the full-scale jaw of a 60-foot-long shark sculpture to learn the story of this fantastic ancient creature, including its size, structure, diet, lifespan, relatives, neighbors, evolution, extinction and new science that continues to reveal megalodon's tale. The object-rich exhibit features fossil specimens from several collections and life-size, scale models of other fossil and modern sharks. Tooth-shaped display units include actual megalodon fossils, and the exhibit is rich in hands-on, family-friendly activities. On display through January 4.

9.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Healthy Civic, Campus, and Community Initiative:
The Bob Graham Center for Public Service at the University of Florida and the UF Division of Student Affairs are inviting UF students to propose projects that will enrich our campus and our Florida communities. These projects can take many forms, with a focus on social, economic, educational, health, and political issues, or some combination thereof. They can also examine a community in Florida or some aspect of student life on the UF campus, or both.

Proposals must be collaborative and innovative, but must also have achievable objectives. The most promising and feasible project will be awarded $5,000 to pursue its implementation.

Proposals should be submitted to the Bob Graham Center by January 15. Learn more about the selection criteria and proposal requirements at: www.bobgrahamcenter.ufl.edu/healthy3C

10.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: College Code Camp for Women:
Twenty percent of software developers are women. At Square, we are committed to improving the ratio of women in technical positions. So, we launched College Code Camp, a five-day immersion program developed to inspire, educate, and empower the next generation of women in technology. The program runs twice a year, every January and August.

The next camp takes place January 6-10 in San Francisco. During this program, women will attend coding workshops, leadership sessions, and tour San Francisco, all while surrounded by top women engineers from across the U.S. and Canada. 20 college women will be selected to participate. Round-trip flight and hotel accommodations will be provided.

Applications are due November 7. For more information and an application, visit https://squareup.com/code-camp/college

11.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Elegance of Science Contest:
The Marston Science Library and Florida Museum of Natural History have resurrected the "Elegance of Science Contest" art competition, which emphasizes and facilitates the link between artistic and scientific perceptions of reality.

The contest is open to University of Florida students, staff or faculty who have created two-dimensional images as part of their research, or that incorporate scientific tools or concepts. Entries must be submitted by Dec. 20.

For more information, visit www.flmnh.ufl.edu/elegance-science/ or email [log in to unmask]

12.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Law School Personal Statement Workshop (TODAY):
This workshop will take place on Tuesday, October 14 from 4:05-4:55pm in 200 Farrior Hall.

This workshop will provide students with information about law school personal statements/admissions statements, including the goal of the statement, law school requirements/guidelines, and tips for writing an effective statement. You will leave the workshop with a brainstormed list of topics for your own personal statement.

** RSVP online at https://www.advising.ufl.edu/workshops/ **

13.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "From the Forests to the Farm - Siting Environmental Performance in the Wild and the Cultivated" (TODAY):
This talk will take place on Tuesday, October 14 from 5:00-6:30pm in Anderson 216.

Environmental artist, Cherie Sampson, has been creating installations and performances in the environment for nearly 25 years in the U.S. and abroad, frequenting the boreal landscapes of Scandinavia. Geographical, ecological, and cultural contexts are integral to the formulation of the works, often created in isolation in remote wild or rural environments as performances for the camera and later exhibited as screenings in festivals and as video-installations.

She will present an overview of her work with a look at live art/performance and dance in the landscape as a small, but growing community within the broader horizon of environmental art of the past four decades, often with a focus on ritual and the sacred as related to the environment. Cherie will also discuss her study and practice of the south Indian classical dance form, Bharatanatyam, and a new direction in her work exploring the vocabulary of the dance within her environmental performance practice.

14.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: "Outsourcing Justice: Africa and the Politics of the International Criminal Court":
This talk will take place on Wednesday, October 15 from 11:45am-1:00pm in 471 Grinter Hall.

This presentation is sponsored by the Students in African Studies Association (SASA). Presenter, Oumar Ba, is a PhD candidate in the Department of Political Science at the University of Florida.  Ba obtained a M.A in Political Science from UF, a M.A in Political Science from Ohio University, and a M.A in International Affairs also from Ohio University. He earned his B.A in International Studies from The Ohio State University and a B.A in Geography from the Universite Cheikh Anta Diop, in Dakar, Senegal.

His primary research interests are at the intersection of international criminal justice and Critical IR Theory.  His dissertation project explores the causes and the mechanisms of perversion of international legal norms.

15.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Law School Application Process Workshop:
This workshop will take place on Thursday, October 16 from 3:00-3:50pm in 200 Farrior Hall.

For those of you who are in the law school application process this fall or others who may be interested in applying to law school in the future, this workshop will review the components of the law school application process: LSAT score, GPA, personal/admission statements, resume and letters of recommendation. Bring your questions.

** RSVP online at https://www.advising.ufl.edu/workshops/ **

16.	ACADEMIC ANNOUNCEMENT: Peace Corps Recruitment Office Returns to UF:
The University of Florida International Center (UFIC) is pleased to announce the return of a campus-based Peace Corps Recruitment office to the University of Florida. UF was awarded a contract on September 25 to fund this office, which will renew and strengthen UF's deep connections with the Peace Corps.

UF has been a leading provider of volunteers in both the Southeast Region and nationally, both in total numbers and in specialized skill applicants. With a total of 85 UF graduates currently serving in various parts of the world, we expect to continue our strong performance and concerted effort to contribute volunteers in specialized skill areas such as Agriculture, Environment, Education, and French and Spanish language skills.

UFIC expects to hire a new Peace Corp campus recruiter by January 2015. For additional information about Peace Corps visit www.peacecorps.gov

For information about Peace Corps on UF campus, please contact Nargiza Ludgate at [log in to unmask]

17.	INTERNSHIP: Omninox Publishing Graphics Design Internship (NEW POSTING):
Omninox Publishing is seeking a graphics design intern for a paid internship to work on an upcoming project in Spring 2015. You must be driven, have experience working with Illustrator, and believe in our mission of making learning more engaging. Under the wing of our primary graphics designer, you will create beautiful illustrations that will be published in an interactive book. Please submit your resume and work samples (if any) to [log in to unmask] For more elaborate questions, call (352) 363-5476

LEADERSHIP AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

18.	VOLUNTEER: Volunteer with the TailGator Recycling Team this Saturday (NEW POSTING):
The survey is now open for the TailGator Recycling crew for the Homecoming Game this Saturday, October 18.

Sign up to volunteer here: https://ufl.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8xf0eRloHGnkYkJ

*Please read carefully for instructions on how to find us! If you are facing McCarty A from the North Lawn, there is a little pathway to the left of the building. Follow that pathway down, and on the left there is a little brick building where the TailGator interns will do check-in. There will be free food and drinks for our volunteers.*

There will be an email sent later this week for more information for those who sign up.

19.	VOLUNTEER: Sustainability Hut (NEW POSTING):
Are you interested in volunteering with the Sustainability Hut? If you would like to learn more about the Hut, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXlauotGWklist=UUkGATwP20gtYT7SmLPvldpA

To sign up for a volunteer shift, start by following the link to join our Wiggio page: http://bit.ly/1r1Rxqe

To learn how to sign up for a shift on Wiggio, please email us at [log in to unmask]

20.	VOLUNTEER: Volunteer with Alzheimer's Outreach Organization:
Volunteer sign-ups are available for Memory Ward at Emeritus Retirement Home. We will be hosting games and activities and spending time with the residents of the Emeritus memory ward for a few hours (1:00-3:00pm) every Sunday. We have up to ten openings available per session. Please join our Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/200654696624745) or our listserv (email us at [log in to unmask]) for further registration information.

Alzheimer's Outreach is an organization whose goal is to foster meaningful interactions with Alzheimer's patients. We aim to volunteer with these wonderful individuals, educate the community about the disease, and fundraise towards the research effort to cure Alzheimer's.

21.	LEADERSHIP: Applications for STAAR's Think Tank (NEW POSTING):
Students Taking Action Against Racism (STAAR) is accepting applications for its Think Tank program. Accepted applicants would work with accomplished student leaders to devise programs and workshops dealing with race, discrimination and racism.

Applications due on October 17, interviews are from October 20-24. Freshmen and sophomore are preferred; however, applications are open to everyone.

Find more information at www.sg.ufl.edu/applications under the "Staff" tab, or by emailing [log in to unmask]

22.	LEADERSHIP: Student Conduct Committee Applications:
Are you interested in promoting ethical decision making, responsibility, academic integrity and community standards? Are you looking for a leadership position that will provide critical thinking, listening, collaboration, analytical, and decision making skill development?

Student Conduct & Conflict Resolution in the Dean of Students Office is currently seeking applicants for the 2015-2016 Student Conduct Committee- a University-wide, Presidential committee comprised of students, faculty, and staff members which is responsible for resolving allegations of academic and non-academic student misconduct within the University community.
Student Conduct Committee members play an integral role in educating their peers about their rights and responsibilities as members of the UF community, upholding community behavioral standards, and implementing the Student Conduct Code and Honor Code.

Successful applicants will complete a three-credit training course during the Spring 2015 term in order to be eligible to serve on the Committee beginning in Summer/Fall 2015. Additional information and applications can be found at https://www.dso.ufl.edu/sccr/process/student-conduct-committee/scc-application

Applications are due October 17 by 5:00pm.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION ANNOUNCEMENTS AND EVENTS

23.	ANNOUNCEMENT: LGBT Affairs October Lunch Series (NEW POSTING):
Join us for our second lunch series of the year on Wednesday, October 15 for a discussion on trans* representation in media. We will have a short presentation followed by a discussion on the representation as a whole, what is good about it, what is not so good, and what is downright something that should not be occurring whatsoever.

The event will take place in Peabody Hall room 411 from 12:00-1:00pm. Food will of course be provided!

https://www.facebook.com/events/886042664740060/

24.	ANNOUNCEMENT: Arab Heritage Week (TODAY):
The Arab Students' Association at UF cordially invites you to the inaugural Arab Heritage Week at UF. The Arab Heritage Week will be an exploration of our roots and culture, and an attempt to eradicate many stereotypes people may have about Arabic culture and the Arab people/world. For details please visit http://on.fb.me/ZSzZqT

Tuesday, October 14: Arab Christians Panel
"Did You Convert?" and other Misconceptions
6:30pm @ Little 113

Wednesday, October 15: Movie Night! "Detroit Unleaded"
6:30pm @ Rinker 215

Thursday, October 16: **2nd Annual Arabic Fair!!!**
9:30am - 3:00pm @ Plaza of the Americas
Join us for an outdoor celebration of Arabic culture.

25.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Wednesday, October 15:
- Golden Key at 7:00pm in Turlington L005. Focus: Learn about upcoming events and meet awesome people. Dinner provided.

26.	STUDENT ORG MEETINGS: Thursday, October 16:
- Global Medical Training at 7:20pm in Turlington 2318. Focus: Hear from our faculty advisor. Learn about the organization and future trips. Those who attend the entire meeting will be entered into a raffle for $150 off an upcoming trip.

27.	EVENT: Sandra Abdalian: SWE Fall Speaker Series (NEW POSTING):
Sandra Abdalian, career coach and founder of Your Career Engineer will be coming to UF on Thursday, October 16. She will be discussing how to create a career and life you love for all engineers. "You are an Engineer. You put in long hours at school or the office (or both!). You sometimes wonder...Is it really possible to have a career and life you love? Yes! It is absolutely possible! I am here to tell you that it is! I have successfully transitioned into a career and life I love and have had many friends, who by the help of coaches, do the same."
-Sandra Abdalian, yourcareerengineer.com.

Sandra is an industrial engineering UF alumna and worked at Harris in various leadership roles before founding her career coaching business. This event will be held from 4:00-5:00pm in Marston L136, Marston's new room in the Collaboration Commons with a giant touchscreen wall. So come out to this event to hear Sandra's career coaching and to see this new technology in action for the first time.

RSVP: https://www.facebook.com/events/1451437528414454/

E-mail Erin Winick with any questions at [log in to unmask]

28.	EVENT: Register for Mini Medical School Benefiting the Equal Access Clinic (NEW POSTING):
Are you interested in medicine? The Equal Access Clinic Network will be hosting its annual Mini Medical School event on Sunday, October 26, from 9:00am to 3:30pm in the Communicore building. This event will allow you to experience a day in the life of a UF medical student. The event will include lectures from UF medical school faculty, a discussion about medical school applications, multiple breakout sessions, and a Q&A with current UF medical students.

Registration for the event costs $25 and includes lunch. The deadline for registration is October 19. All proceeds will directly benefit the Equal Access Clinic Network, a series of student-run clinics here in Gainesville that provide free healthcare to the underserved members of our community.

Information on how to register as well as a tentative schedule for the event can be found at http://equalaccess.med.ufl.edu/2014/09/16/mini-medical-school-registration/. Any questions can be sent to Sean Taasan at [log in to unmask]

*					*					*					*
You can find Honors Daily Opportunity List Archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/honors-l.html

To submit an announcement for posting, please complete the online form at http://www.honors.ufl.edu/apps/HonorsDaily.aspx

Connect to the Honors Program -