Re: Longitudinal egonet data

Benjamin Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:53:20 -0500

text/plain

Hi Elisa,

This might be of interest to you. The National Social Life, Health, and
Aging Project (NSHAP) recently completed collection of longitudinal
egocentric network data in a nationally representative sample of older
Americans. The “important matters” name generator was used to develop
baseline network data in 2005/6 from over 3,000 respondents 57-85 years old.
In addition to extensive data on ego, we also collected data on each
confidant's gender, relation to R, frequency of contact, closeness,
coresident status, likelihood of R discussing health with the confidant, and
confidant's frequency of contact with each of the other confidants.

As for the longitudinal part: In 2010/11, we repeated the network module for
the more than 2,200 remaining respondents. After enumerating the W2 roster,
respondents were then asked to link their W2 alters to their W1 alters,
making it possible to track alter-specific turnover within each network.

These data have just recently been made publicly available through the
National Archive of Computerized Data on Aging (NACDA), located within
ICPSR. A forthcoming paper that describes the survey procedure and some
resulting data and findings is:

Cornwell, Benjamin, and Edward O. Laumann. "The Health Benefits of Network
Growth: New Evidence from a National Survey of Older Adults." Social Science
& Medicine. In press.

There will also be a paper in a special issue dedicated to NSHAP in the
Journals of Gerontology: Social Sciences, but that is still some time away.
Contact me if you are interested in advance drafts of either of these.

Best,
Ben Cornwell

--
Benjamin Cornwell