Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Holy Reykjavik Batman, tveir Iceland Gulls, Huguenot Park
From: Bob Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 18 Mar 2014 07:39:02 -0400

Like it was Daytona or something. Late yesterday
I found two juvenile Iceland Gulls on the ocean
beach side of Huguenot Park near the north end
of the bank. Seeing two individuals of this species
(or Glaucous) at this location was a first for me in
almost forty years. A couple years ago I did find
an Iceland and Glaucous together but that was
also a one off occurrence. At one point almost all
of the many gulls and terns on the beach flushed
and I saw one of the birds heading south toward
the jetty. I did not relocate that bird. The one who
remained was present till I left around 6:30. A
couple of other birders were present and saw at
least one of the gulls. The two gulls were about
fifty yards apart. I never saw them near each other.
Note that while you can no longer get into the park
before 8:00 a.m. it is now open till 8:00 p.m. Also
note that unlike Daytona, Iceland (and Glaucous)
gulls are usually one day wonders at this location.
I believe these were around the thirty fifth Iceland
Gulls I have found here since 1976.

I also saw what looked to be a good candidate for
a second winter California Gull. The bird had
bluish legs (near the top, dull pinkish below), a
noticeably dark mantle compared to Ring-bills,
a kind of bone colored bill and was identical in
size to an adjacent first cycle Lesser Black-backed.
Everything seemed to fit till I noticed the bird
had a pale iris.

Also seen was a single Greater Scaup in the
lagoon. The bird was by itself. A Horned Grebe
in the river just off the restroom area was unusual
(the are common in the lagoon but rare in the
river).

I also watched for about five minutes as a Pomarine
Jaeger mercilessly harassed a Laughing Gull a
about a hundred yards offshore. The gull really
didn't want to give up whatever he had. Then a
second gull showed up and appeared to kind
of block the jaeger. At this point the first gull
apparently dropped what he was carrying. The
jaeger dropped down and snatched it off the
water and began to head leisurely out to sea.
One of the gulls then pursued the jaeger who
was forced to take evasive action. As the birds
moved further off I moved on. There were several
other interesting looking birds offshore but I
didn't have a suitable scope.

--
http://www.pbase.com/Bob_Richter