Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: American Golden-Plover. Least Tern. Disappearing Island. Volusia County
From: Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 19 Mar 2014 17:37:51 -0400

Today, 3/19, while doing a shorebird survey with David Hartgrove, Stacey Bell, Jennifer Winters and others, I found an American Golden-Plover on Disappearing Island in Ponce de Leon Inlet, Volusia County. In addition, there was also an early Least Tern. Last year, we found one Least Tern very early also on March 13. Usually they arrive here about March 24-30.  There were also two Purple Sandpipers foraging on the mud flats, well over 100 Red Knots, and 19 Piping Plovers. In total we had 16 species of shorebirds.

Black-bellied Plover
American Golden-Plover
Wilson's Plover
Semipalmated Plover