Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Geneva Wilderness Area, 3/14/2014 (Seminole Co)
From: Scott Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 15 Mar 2014 18:24:53 -0400

Hello all,

Yesterday evening I drove out to the Geneva Wilderness area hoping to find
Eastern Whip-poor-wills and Chuck-will's-widow.  Just before 8 pm I began
to hear several Whips from several places in the park, and I was able to
get a recording of them.  About 10-20 minutes later I heard one Chuck, a
little farther away, but very clear.  By the time I got my phone out to
record him, somebody revved up his truck for a couple minutes, drowning out
the bird, and when he finally stopped, so had the Chuck.

I decided to play with the recording some, and I uploaded it to
xeno-cano.org. I noticed that once uploaded you can copy an embed code from
the website. I decided to see if I could paste it into my eBird checklist,
and it worked!  You can play the audio file right from the checklist.  I
thought that was the coolest thing I've learned all week.

As a bonus, on my way out there yesterday I saw my FOY Short-tailed Hawk, a
light morph, flying north over Red Bug Rd.

Geneva Wilderness Area is on Rte 426 just south of Rte 46 in Geneva, FL

Happy birding,

Scott Simmons
Winter Park, FL