Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: Seven gull day at Ft. Pickens
From: Lucy & Bob Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:32:47 -0500

An exciting morning "gulling" at Pensacola Beach's Ft. Pickens! Lucy, Scot
and I headed to the beach in spite of impending rain squalls. We got
drenched a couple of times, but found 7 species of gulls loafing on the
outer beach, in addition to the Winter-four usual species.

At the pink restrooms at the beginning of Gulf Islands National Seashore we
had a juvenile/first summer ICELAND GULL (Photo, Lucy) and an adult
CALIFORNIA GULL (photo Lucy to be sent to FOSRC) all within the first five
minutes of birding. Between torrential rain showers we managed 3 adult and 1
first cycle LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLs. Another party reported a GREAT
BLACK-BACKED GULL. The GLAUCOUS GULL present for the past couple of weeks
was not found.

Flocks of gulls have been present on the outer beach for a couple of weeks
after a winter of hardly any there at all. Are the dumps along the Gulf
Coast emptying out of their gulls? Birders in the local area do not have
access to landfills where thousands of gulls spend the winter. Are the above
birds a taste of what is present? Birders along this end of the coast should
check the outer beaches because "gulling" has suddenly gotten very
interesting.

Bob Lucy, and Scot Duncan

Gulf Breeze in the w. Panhandle