not so humble bragged

Barry Wellman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jun 2014 03:43:26 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

Unexpected, and overwhelming. What an honour and what company to keep.

   Barry Wellman

   NetLab FRSC INSNA Founder
   Faculty of Information (iSchool) 611 Bissell Building
   140 St. George St. University of Toronto Toronto Canada M5S 3G6
   http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman twitter: @barrywellman
                  NSA/CSEC: Canadian and American citizen
   MIT Press http://amzn.to/zXZg39 Print $14 Kindle $16
                  Old/NewCyberTimes http://bit.ly/c8N9V8

Network Theorist Barry Wellman Receives Lifetime Achievement Award from
the Oxford Internet Institute
(text for OII Awards website)

Professor Barry Wellman, co-director of NetLab at the Faculty of
Information (iSchool) of the University of Toronto, has been awarded an
OII Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his extraordinary record
of scholarship in social network theory and Internet research which has
contributed so much to our understanding of life online.

A Canadian-American sociologist, his overarching interest is in the
paradigm shift from group-centered relations to networked individualism.
His research examines virtual community, the virtual workplace, social
support, community, kinship, friendship, and social network theory and
methods. His methodological contributions have been for the analysis of
ego-centered or "personal" networks - defined from the standpoint of an
individual. This calls for somewhat different techniques than the more
common social network practice of analysing a single large network.

Barry Wellman said "I am deeply honoured by this. And want to pay tribute
to the many NetLab members - and Networked co-author Lee Rainie - who have
been my wonderful intellectual playmates through the years."

OII Acting Director, Dr Victoria Nash said "Barry Wellman's approach to
studying the networks that connect us as individuals has had a profound
effect on the field of Internet research, reflected in much of the work of
our colleagues and students. We are delighted to honour his contribution
today. "

The top-cited Canadian sociologist, Wellman's current work continues to
focus on the interplay between information and communication technologies,
especially the Internet, social relations and social structure. He was
elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2007.

The award will be presented on 7th November in Oxford, at an awards dinner
and ceremony that also includes Lifetime Achievement awards for Sir Tim
Berners Lee and Dame Stephanie Shirley.