]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  November 2014

SOCNET November 2014

#SMSociety15: Social Media & Society Conference - Call for Submissions

Anatoliy Gruzd <[log in to unmask]>

Anatoliy Gruzd <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:41:55 -0400

text/plain

(Apologies for cross-posting)

------------------------------------
6th Annual International
Social Media & Society Conference
Toronto, Canada
July 27-29, 2015
Website: http://SocialMediaAndSociety.com/
------------------------------------
Call for Submissions

Academic research on social media is growing exponentially across
various disciplines including: Communications, Information / Library
Science, Computer Science, Business, Sociology, Education, Psychology,
Health and others. The Web of Science alone indexed nearly 5,000 journal
and conference publications over the last decade. This growing body of
research revealed many interesting factors about social media platforms,
their users, and a glimpse of our society at large. But are we any
closer to understanding the broader implications of social media on our
increasing networked society?

The 2015 Social Media & Society Conference (#SMSociety15) invites
scholarly and original submissions that build on the previous work and
critically evaluate the role of social media for social and political
change, community engagement, marketing, new forms of governance,
support of individuals and organizations in domains such as business,
information, management, public administration, academia, health, and
journalism (just to mention a few). We are also calling for submissions
that develop and apply novel methods and theories to collect, analyze,
and visualize social media data as well as those that discuss ethical
and privacy implications of using big and small data. We welcome both
quantitative and qualitative work in the broad area of Social Media &
Society that crosses interdisciplinary boundaries and expands our
understanding of the current and future trends in social media.

Whether you are just starting a new research project or ready to report
on the final results, you will find that #SMSociety15 is a great venue
for you! The 2015 conference invites a wide range of submissions:
- short papers on completed or well-developed projects (Due: March 2, 2015)
- work-in-progress paper abstracts (Due: April 10, 2015),
- panel discussions (Due: March 2, 2015)
- poster presentations (Due: May 1, 2015).

New to this year, we are also calling for proposals to host:
- half-day workshops (Due: February 2, 2015) on a well-defined area or
technical tutorials that will examine a particular method or tool for
the analysis of social media data in more detail

PUBLISHING OPPORTUNITIES
All accepted short papers will be published in the Conference
Proceedings by the ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
(ICPS). Authors of accepted top papers will be invited to submit their
full papers to the special issue of the Information, Communication &
Society journal (published by Taylor & Francis).

BACKGROUND
The Social Media & Society Conference is an annual gathering of leading
social media researchers from around the world. Now, in its 6th year,
the 2015 Conference will be held in Toronto, Canada from July 27 to 29,
2015. From its inception, the conference has focused on the best
practices for studying the impact and implications of social media on
society. Organized by the Social Media Lab at Ryerson University, the
conference provides attendees an opportunity to exchange ideas, present
their original research, learn about recently completed and
work-in-progress studies, and strengthen connections with their peers.
The 2014 conference hosted over 200 attendees, featured research from
238 authors across several fields from 21 different countries.

TOPICS OF INTEREST
Social Media & Small Data
 Case Studies of Online Communities Formed on Social Media
 Case Studies of Offline Communities that Rely on Social Media
 Sampling Issues
 Value of Small Data

Social Media & Big Data
 Visualization of Social Media Data
 Social Media Data Mining
 Scalability Issues & Social Media Data
 Social Media Analytics
 Ethics of Big Data

Social Media Impact on Society
 Private Self/Public Self
 The Sharing/Attention Economy
 Virality & Memes
 Political Mobilization & Engagement
 Social Media & Health
 Social Media & Business (Marketing, PR, HR, Risk Management, etc.)
 Social Media & Academia (Alternative Metrics, Learning Analytics, etc.)
 Social Media & Public Administration
 Social Media & the News

Theories & Methods
 Qualitative & Quantitative Approaches
 Opinion Mining & Sentiment Analysis
 Social Network Analysis
 Theoretical Models for Studying, Analysing and Understanding Social Media

Online/Offline Communities
 Trust & Credibility in Social Media
 Online Community Detection
 Influential User Detection
 Online Identity

Social Media & Mobile
 App-ification of the Society
 Privacy & Security Issues in the Mobile World
 Apps for the Social Good
 Networking Apps

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
The list of the Program Committee members is available at
https://socialmediaandsociety.com/?page_id=1346

CONFERENCE ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Anatoliy Gruzd
Associate Professor, Ted Rogers School of Management
Director, Social Media Lab
Ryerson University, Canada
Twitter: @gruzd

Barry Wellman
Professor & Director, NetLab
University of Toronto, Canada
Twitter: @barrywellman

Philip H. Mai
Manager of Academic Communications
Ryerson University, Canada
Twitter: @phmai

Jenna Jacobson
PhD Candidate, Faculty of Information (iSchool)
University of Toronto, Canada
Twitter: @jacobsonjenna

MORE INFORMATION AT http://SocialMediaAndSociety.com/

For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Anatoliy Gruzd at [log in to unmask]