Some final notes before today's exam

Michael Marsiske <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Dec 2014 13:53:16 +0000

text/plain

I hope you're all feeling ready, and I wish you the best of luck.  Here are a few final reminders/details about the exam.

1. It is scheduled to run today from 12:30 - 2:30 pm, EST
2. In Sakai, you will navigate to ASSESSMENTS, where you'll find a link called "CLP 6529 Final Exam Fall 2014"
3. It is a multiple choice test, one item per page.  Please don't leave any blank, as there is no penalty for guessing.  If you are uncertain of an answer, "mark" it, and you can return if time allows
4. It is fully "open book/open internet", so you can use whatever resources you want.
5. In the unlikely event that you have an internet problem or get kicked out, FIRST, just try to log back in. Most times, if something happens, you can just log in ... all your answers are saved, and you just pick up where you left off.
6. If you encounter a more serious problem, "best practices" for online tests are pasted below.  Note that the helpdesk number is 352-392-4357. You should get a ticket number, to document your technical problems.
7. In addition, I will be online throughout the test, so you should just email me ([log in to unmask]), and I'll do my best to help.
8. "When you are done with your exam, be sure you submit it! If you do not see a successful submission message, your test is still in progress. Take a screen shot of your submission page in case there is ever a question about your submission. "  (If time is up before you submit, your exam will be auto-submitted and closed for you).
9. I know many of you are eager for your final grades, after exam rescaling, etc.  I will do my best to get these to you, but this may not be until later this evening.  I'll send an email when everything is updated.  Michael

Best wishes, Michael

What are the best practices for taking online tests?

  *   Donít wait until the last minute. Know when the exam is due and leave yourself plenty of time.
  *   Take your exam during Help Desk hours so that if you encounter problems, there will be someone available to help you.
  *   Make sure you have a dependable internet connection; WIRED rather than wireless if at all possible.
  *   Use a major browser with the latest updates.
  *   Make sure you read your instructions carefully before beginning the exam. Once you begin the exam, the timer will continue to run until your time expires.
  *   DO NOT use your browser back and forward buttons. Always navigate within e-Learning in Sakai.
  *   If your test is displayed all on one page, use the "Save" button often! The "Save" button is always at the bottom of the page, so you may have to scroll down. NOTE: If your instructor is using the Assessments tool, you will not see a "Save" button.
  *   Clicking the Table of Contents will save your questions.
  *   If you lose internet connection, or your browser crashes, the timer will continue to count down. Log back in as quickly as possible and resume the test!
  *   If you encounter any unexpected behavior (error messages, inability to log in, etc.,) take a screen shot of the problem (Print Scrn) and paste (CTRL+V) into a program like Word or Paint. Save this file. This is important so that your instructor knows your problem is legitimate, and to assist the UF Computing Help Desk in helping you fix the problem.
  *   If you encounter problems that prevent you from taking the exam, immediately call the UF Computing Help Desk at 352-392-4357. Keep the ticket number for future reference.

--
Michael Marsiske, Ph.D.
Associate Professor