Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Course/subjects with no available tutors/resources

Samuel W Raskin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 11 Feb 2015 18:40:02 +0000

text/plain

The Athletics Department, TRiO, EOP, and other programs contract with us to provide individual tutoring for their students.  The student may submit a request for any undergraduate course offered at UC Davis.  They are allowed to submit requests until the end of the fifth week of the quarter.  (Quarters are 10 weeks long).  We first check whether any of our 200+ currently working tutors can tutor the subject requested.  If not, we send a recruitment email to students who earned a high grade in the class the last time it was offered.  It generally takes two weeks to recruit, interview, hire, schedule, and provide 3.5 hours of paid new tutor training.  The contracting program pays all of the tutor's wages plus an administrative fee toward our HR costs.  In Fall 2014 we employed about 230 tutors, scheduled weekly/biweekly tutoring for about 350 students in over 100 different subjects, and failed to fulfill fewer than ten requests.

We also staff drop-in tutoring rooms, available to all students, where we offer tutoring in high demand subjects.