Help for FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Archives

Subject: California Gull #2. Daytona Beach Shores.
From: Michael Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 26 Feb 2015 20:49:45 -0500

This afternoon, 2/26, I found another adult California Gull on the beach at Daytona Beach Shores. This was a different bird from the California Gull I found last night. This one has a clean white head without the dark streaking. These birds are smaller than Herring Gulls and larger than Ring-billed Gulls. The mantle is darker than Herring Gulls, but not quite as dark as a Laughing Gull. The legs are an odd greenish-yellow color. The eye is very dark and surrounded by an orange-red eye ring. The bill is yellow with a red spot and a black spot on the lower mandible. Some additional dark extends onto the upper mandible. There is a pronounced down-curved red gape line at the base of the bill. In flight, the dark on the outer primaries is more extensive than on a Herring or Ring-billed Gull.

Michael

Michael Brothers
Marine Science Center
Ponce Inlet, FL