]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

FLORIDABIRDS-L Home

FLORIDABIRDS-L  April 2015, Week 5

FLORIDABIRDS-L April 2015, Week 5

Turkey Creek Sanctuary [Brevard County] 4/29/2015

Christopher Ferro <[log in to unmask]>

Christopher Ferro <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:07:25 +0000

text/plain

My friend, and nascent birder, Camille, and I went out to Turkey Creek this morning and met up with Bill Haddad to follow up on the good birding Bill had the previous day. It started out slow, and never got as good as he had it yesterday, but we ended up with a decent morning. Most of the same characters Bill saw at TC and that I saw and Erna Nixon yesterday were present.
(My numbers are approx - we were in and amongst moving flocks, so some may be repeat birds)
8 or 9 Blackpoll Warblers, male and female4-ish American Redstarts, male and female7 or 8 Black-and-white Warblers, male and female4-ish Black-throated Blue Warblers, males and 1 female3 or 4 Cape May Warblers - 1 female, in a tree right above of the car, first thing (had to use fuzzy photo to verify) and a couple of STUNNING males.1 or 2 White-eyed Vireos - probably males, based on the singing?1 Magnolia Warbler male (poor Bill missed this one, he was really hoping!)a Bunch of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers2 Yellow-billed Cuckoos (woohoo!), at one point in the same tree.a few Gray Catbirdsa Wicked Lot of Northern Cardinals2 or 3 Northern Parulas, male and female1 Prairie Warbler, male2 or 3 Common Yellowthroats, malea few Fish Crowsseveral Black Vultures1 Great Blue Heron
Voice only:Great Crested FlycatchersBarred Owl (in the distance)Sandhill Cranesa Crap Ton of Carolina Wrenspossible Eastern Towhee
We saw a 3rd cuckoo-looking bird but didn't get a great look at it. Soon after I heard a faint "ku-ku-ku," like a Black-billed Cuckoo, in the direction we saw it fly. I cannot be certain that's what it was. It was very faint.
Also, something suspiciously like a dark-phase Short-tailed Hawk soared over, but not a good enough look to be sure. That would have been a great one!
Bill is headed back to the Tarheel State (NC) this weekend for the summer. Safe journey, Bill. See you this fall!
Christopher FerroMelbourne/Brevard County