Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Are E-Books better than printed books?

Renee Wright <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 May 2015 20:36:45 +0000

text/plain

I studied this in my reading classes a few years ago. Students felt the e-book was difficult to annotate and they didn't like the notes features. They also felt the e-book was difficult to study and print annotations for review later. I teach how to annotate the text using different colors for various purposes (yellow for vocab; green for important; pink for questions) and the e-book didn't offer the right colors for them to do this. They said that once they've annotated this way it was hard to go back to just highlighting in yellow with notes that weren't visible unless you clicked the icon. :-)

Comprehension suffered as well. Students read and responded to a variety of readings both in hard copy and online, the comprehension scores were higher for the hard copy readings (82% class avg for hard copy and 63% class avg for online). Time on task was also longer for the online versions as well.

Renee Wright, PhD
English Faculty, E102D
708-456-0300 x 3237