]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  May 2015

SOCNET May 2015

Sunbelt Workshop: Qualitative Social Networks

"Dominguez, Silvia" <[log in to unmask]>

Dominguez, Silvia

Sat, 16 May 2015 01:29:53 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone

Just a reminder that I am running a workshop on qualitative research and
social networks at the next sunbelt.

Field Methods and Social Network Research

This workshop is designed to introduce researchers to the basic techniques
of qualitative research methods with social networks. Qualitative
approaches help us to look at the exploration of networks, in terms and
practices, dynamics and significance of networks. As such, qualitative
research methods offer special tools for addressing challenges that social
network researchers face particularly around the problem of agency,
understanding linkages between network structure and actors and dynamics
involved. We will learn how to collect data through observations and
interviews, strategies for framing questions, and will look at techniques
for data interpretation and analysis. Special attention will be paid to
coding qualitative data for social network analysis and converting
research findings to qualitative manuscripts.

Silvia Dominguez

Thanks
Silvia Dominguez, PhD, MSW
Chair- Race and Ethnic Minorities ASA
Associate Professor
Sociology & Human Services
Center for International Affairs and World Cultures
<http://www.northeastern.edu/international_center/>
Renaissance Park 210N
Northeastern University
Boston, MA 02115
Mixed Methods Social Networks Research: Design and Applications.
<http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/sociology/research-methods-s
ociology-and-criminology/mixed-methods-social-networks-research-design-and-
applications>
Getting Ahead: Social Mobility, Public Housing and Immigrant Networks.
<http://nyupress.org/books/9780814720783/>
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity." MLK.
SPA’s or Self-Propelling Agents rule the world!!!