]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GRADSTUDENT-L Home

GRADSTUDENT-L  2016

GRADSTUDENT-L 2016

Call for Panel Moderators for 1/30 UF University Writing Program Conference

Gage,Christopher D

Fri, 15 Jan 2016 19:56:29 +0000

text/plain

Hi everyone:

We still need a few more panel moderators for the UWP (University Writing Program at the University of Florida) annual conference, "Pedagogy, Practice, and Philosophy." It's on Saturday, January 30th.

Anybody interested? It's a good CV line and should be a fun conference to attend anyway. You can moderate a panel even if you're presenting on a different panel, obviously.

I've pasted the tentative schedule below this email. So just let me know if you want to do it and which panel you're interested in moderating--or if you're not particular and are willing to moderate any one of them.

I know it's kind of short notice, but if you think it's something you're willing to do, could you please let me know?

Thanks a million and best,

Chris

Christopher Gage ([log in to unmask])

Pedagogy, Practice, and Philosophy, 2016

Saturday, January 30th

9:00 AM-10:00 AM Conference Sign In and Welcome Breakfast
Ustler Hall Atrium

Session 1: 10:00am-11:00am

Session 1a				           Location: Ustler Hall 105
Roundtable: Switching Genres for Multimodal Composition:
Incorporating an Advocacy Statement into Issue-based Assignments
Respondent:

Andréa Caloiaro, University of Florida
Janna Moretti, University of Florida
Mihye Bang, University of Florida
Charles Sterchi, University of Florida

Session 1b				            Location: Ustler Hall 108
Applying Creative Writing Principles in the Composition Classroom
Moderator:

"Workshopping Arguments: Using the Creative Writing Method in the Undergraduate Composition Classroom"
       Erin O'Luanaigh, University of Florida

"One Art: Teaching Structure and Revision through Poetry"
       Nicholas Pierce, University of Florida

"Incorporating Fiction-Writing Principles into English Composition Instruction"
       Neal Hammons, University of Florida

Session 2: 11:00am-12:00pm

Session 2a				             Location: Ustler Hall 105
Practical Use of Pop Culture in the Composition Classroom
Moderator:

"Comma Bingo"
       Jennifer Coenen, University of Florida

"Hotline Bling: Incorporating Current Pop References"
       Brooke Fortune, University of Florida

"Synthesizing Adaptation: Using Fairy Tales to Explore Rhetoric"
       Jill Coste, University of Florida

Session 2b				             Location: Ustler Hall 108
Peer Review and Collaboration
Moderator:

"Feedback Grading and the Value of Surprise in the Composition
Classroom"
       Paul Roberts, University of Florida

"Constructive Peer Reviews"
       Kavi Jointe, University of Florida

"A Modest Proposal for a Logical Fallacies Lesson"
       Michael Lupi, University of Florida

12:00pm-1:30pm  Keynote Address and Lunch
Ustler Hall Atrium

Session 3: 1:30-2:30pm

Session 3a				                    Location: Ustler Hall 105
Visual Rhetoric and Use of Technology in Composition Courses
Moderator:

"Comics and Visual Rhetoric in the Composition Classroom"
       Charles Acheson, University of Florida

"2 Minute Thesis: Blending Video Clips, Research Methodology, and Confidence
in 21st Century Students"
       Kelly Beck, University of Florida

"Mobile Devices and the English Classroom: Pedagogical Strategies to Use
Mobile Technology to Increase Student Productivity"
       John Misak, New York Institute of Technology

Session 3b				                     Location: Ustler Hall 108
Personal Reflection and Groupwork
Moderator:

"Using Personal Writing in First-Year Composition"
       Andrew Wilson, University of Florida

"How to Win Social Media Debates and Be Good at Dating: Pitching a Relevant Writing Course"
       Mallory Szymanski, University of Florida

"Debating Causes: Groupwork and Critical Thinking"
Nat Deyo, Marie McGrath, and Wynne Hungerford, University of Florida

Session 4: 2:30 PM-3:30 PM

Session 4a				                      Location: Ustler Hall 105
Engaged Pedagogy and Practical One-Day Activities
Moderator:

"Mapping Your World"
       Victoria Machado, University of Florida

"Engaged Pedagogy and the Composition Classroom"
       Srimayee Basu, University of Florida

"Tell Us More, Ted! Using Public Forums to Teach Proposals"
Jacob Guajardo, Kelsey Carper, and Shannon Butts, University of Florida

Session 4b				                      Location: Ustler Hal 108
Race, Ethics, and Being a Second Language Teacher of Composition
Moderator:

"Writing about Race in the Classroom"
       Romy Rajan, University of Florida

"Teaching Animal Rights for Effective Argumentation in Student Papers"
       Alexander Siwiecki, University of Florida

"Between Classes, Between Cultures: Challenges of Being a 2nd Language Teacher"
       Amrita Bandopadhyay, University of Florida

Session 5: 3:30 PM-4:30 PM

Session 5				                     Location: Ustler Hall 108
Semester-Long Visions for Composition Courses
Moderator:

"Social Sciences Methodology and the Research Writing Curriculum"
       Justin Grant, Florida International University

"What Does the Internet do to Our Brains? More Importantly, What
Does the Internet do to Our Writing? A Semester with First Year
Writing Students"
       Lindsay Stinson, Radford University

"Red Light, Green Light! Agency in the First Year Composition Classroom"
       Mikayla Beaudrie, Florida State College at Jacksonville