]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  March 2016

SOCNET March 2016

Sunbelt and EUSN workshops on using R and 'igraph' for SNA

Michał Bojanowski <[log in to unmask]>

Michał Bojanowski <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Mar 2016 14:17:46 +0100

text/plain

Dear SOCNETters and Sunbelt 2016 participants,

I would like to (re)announce the workshop I will be giving on using R
and 'igraph' for Social Network Analysis on the upcoming Sunbelt 2016
conference in Newport Beach. My goal is to provide *gentle* and
*practical* tour through the SNA functionality of R package "igraph".
The exact details of the Sunbelt workshop are:

Tuesday April 5th, 8:00am - 2:30pm
Consult the Sunbelt workshop program
http://insna.org/sunbelt2016/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/20160303_2016_Sunbelt_Workshops_FINAL_01-27-16.pdf

Do note that March 7 is the deadline for Sunbelt workshop registrations.

If you are not attending Sunbelt I will be very happy to meet you on
the workshop at the European Social Networks Conference (EUSN 2016)
which will take place in Paris (14-17th of June, 2016), see
http://eusn2016.sciencesconf.org/84811 for further details.

See the bottom of this message for some more details on the workshop.

I hope to see you on Sunbelt or EUSN!

As a side note, on EUSN I will be also co-teaching two 'statnet'
workshops which will be announced separately.

Best regards,
Michal

PS. Apologies for cross-posting.

--
MichaƂ Bojanowski
Assistant Professor

Interdisciplinary Centre for Mathematical and Computational Modelling (ICM)
University of Warsaw
Prosta 69, 00-838 Warsaw
+48 22 8749 427
http://recon.icm.edu.pl
http://bc.bojanorama.pl

== Using R and igraph for Social Network Analysis ==

The workshop introduces R and package igraph for social network data
manipulation, isualization, and analysis. Package igraph is a
collection of efficient tools for storing, manipulating, visualizing,
and analyzing network data. Igraph is in part an alternative, in part
a complement to other SNA-related R packages (e.g. statnet, tnet). It
is an alternative as it goes for network data manipulation and
visualization. It is a complement because of a large and growing
collection of algorithms, including community detection problems,
unavailable elsewhere. The material will cover:

0. Brief introduction to R.
1. Creating and manipulating network data objects.
2. Working with node and tie attributes.
3. Creating network visualizations.
4. A tour through computing selected SNA methods including: degree
distribution, centrality measures, shortest paths, connected
components, quantifying homophily/segregation, network community
detection.
5. Connections to other R packages for SNA, e.g.: statnet, RSiena, egonetR.

The focus is on analysis of complete network data and providing
prerequisites for other workshops including two on ego-network
analysis: "Introduction to ego-network analysis" by Raffaele Vacca and
"Simplifying advanced ego-network analysis in R with egonetR" by Till
Krenz and Andreas Herz.

The workshop have been successfully organized on earlier Sunbelt
conferences (since Sunbelt 2011) and on European Social Networks
conference (EUSN 2014). The workshop attracted a lot of attention
(total of over 130 participants since 2011) and positive feedback (80%
report being satisfied, 75% would recommend the workshop to a
colleague). The earlier workshop title was "Introduction to Social
Network Analysis with R". The content have been updated to catch up
with newest developments in igraph and related packages.

Target audience and requirements:

The workshop is designed to be accessible for people who have limited
experience with R. The participants are expected to be familiar with
basic R objects (e.g. matrices and data frames) and functions (e.g.,
reading data, computing basic statistics, basic visualization). Some
brief introduction to R will be provided. To be absolutely on the safe
side we recommend taking an internet course on the level of R
programming course on Coursera
(https://www.coursera.org/course/rprog), which you can take every
month, or skimming through a book on the level of initial eight
sections of Roger D. Peng book "R programming"
(https://leanpub.com/rprogramming). Participants are encouraged to
bring own laptops. We have prepared examples and exercises to be
completed during the workshop. Detailed instructions about how to
prepare will be distributed in due time.