RECMGMT-L May 2016, Week 2

Re: Blockchain Explained

Vicki Lemieux <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 10 May 2016 12:57:33 -0400

text/plain

Dear David, I been following recent threads on Blockchain technology, and
since I have been conducting some research into how the Blockchain
technology operates I am offering some thoughts below in response to your
post.

1. You say, "Another concern is for organizations that create their own
documents/records as part of the greater process environment.  In the
Blockchain structure, don't they release this product to everyone?  Won't
multiple copies go out beyond their control?  Once it is out there that
organization has no more say in what happens to their information.  Good
luck with retention and disposition.²

Letıs first be clear on what information will be released.  It will only
be a hash of a record (a hash function takes an input or 'message' and
returns a fixed-size alphanumeric string, which is called the hash value,
sometimes called a message digest, a digital fingerprint, a digest or a
checksum). The hash, just being an mathematically generated numeric string
does not reveal anything of the content of the originating record.  To
draw an analogy to medieval record keeping practices, it is akin to
signing and sealing a charter, with the sign and seal being stored
separately.  At a later date, if you want to authenticate the document,
you can compare the sign and seal stored separately or in your possession
with the sign and seal on the charter.  The main difference between this
example and how the blockchain operates, however, is that, in medieval
times, when I signed and sealed something, I was also attesting to its
reliability, or factual truth. This is not the case for the blockchain,
wherein unreliable (documents containing factual errors or misleading
facts) can still be digitally signed, encrypted, and stored on the
blockchain.

It is impossible to reverse engineer the hash to produce the record from
its hash. Thus, the contents of actual record itself will not be revealed.
 That said, the hashes will be out on different distributed ³nodes² in the
network that will be beyond the control of the originating organization,
unless the blockchain as been set up as a ³permissioned² blockchain
(something like the equivalent of a private cloud).  To authenticate a
record using the blockchain you need to have a (1) the original record and
(2) the hash from the blockchain. The bigger challenge, therefore, will be
in how to ensure that the link between the original record and its hash is
maintained over time so that records can be ³proved².

2. You mention the costly and duplicative nature of a distributed
environment.

This is true, each node in the network retains the entire block.  One
solution to this is to produce a Merkle tree (aka A tree constructed by
hashing paired data (the leaves), then pairing and hashing the results
until a single hash remains, the merkle root
<https://bitcoin.org/en/glossary/merkle-root>. In Bitcoin, the leaves are
almost always transactions from a single block
<https://bitcoin.org/en/glossary/block>). This reduces the amount of space
required for storage of complete chains.  But more to the point, because
organizations do not own and operate the nodes in the network, they do not
bear the cost (and pain) of inefficient modes of storage,  unless of
course they are operating the blockchain networks themselves as private
blockchains.  Thus, there is no strong centralized incentive to be
efficient in terms of storage, though individual processors may wish to be
efficient.

3. You say, "And finally, is Blockchain a product designed to enhance
security and privacy?  I read that it is encrypted but there are many who
have that key; everyone on the system.  And all of the content is
everywhere, not just in a central control environment.  Does this enhance
the data security or hurt it?  If it is possible to steal information from
any location that would seem to increase the risk, not reduce it.²

There are many security concerns that one can point to with respect to
Blockchain. These include vulnerability to DDOS attacks, 51% attacks
(where the independence of nodes is overpowered), software bugs that
create ³hard forks² in the blockchain and operational problems. As you
allude to key management is also a problem in any technology that relies
on encryption.  There are many more risks that could be cited, but suffice
it to say that this is an area of concern, as it is with many systems
these days.

4. You say, "I also see benefits.  There is incredible redundancy which
increases preservation ability.²

Actually, Blockchain technology does nothing to increase preservation of
the original records from which the hashes on the blockchain are produced.
 These records must be separately preserved, and without their
preservation the redundant hashes on the blockchain are useless since you
need both the original record and the hash to authenticate, and, in any
case, it would be pointless to preserve potential proof of the
authenticity of something that no longer exists.

I hope that this information can be of some assistance to you as you
consider the pros and cons of blockchain technology for particular
applications that might be relevant to your situation.

Best wishes,
Victoria Lemieux
Associate Professor, Archival Science
The University of British Columbia

On 2016-05-10, 10:22 AM, "Records Management Program on behalf of Steward,
David" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of