Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Academic Integrity of SI Leaders

"Bruce A. Epps" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jun 2016 13:49:04 +0000

text/plain

We definitely take into account student applicants’ academic integrity status when making hiring decisions for our entire staff (peer tutors, SI Leaders, and academic coaches).  Up to this point it has been somewhat informal, but starting next year we are going to include a required item on the application asking whether the individual has ever been found responsible for an academic integrity violation.  I can also simply send a list of applicants to our Dean of Students (who oversees all student conduct cases), and she will let me knew if anyone has been found in violation.  (There is not a FERPA issue, since this is a stated requirement for the position.)  Just this spring I had an instance in which I was made aware by a faculty member that she could not be supportive of one of our applicants being hired.  When I gently pressed her as to why, she informed me that the applicant was currently under investigation for an academic integrity violation.  Since in this case a decision had not yet been made (innocent until proven guilty), I called the applicant in and told her that this information had come to light, and that I was simply putting her application on hold for the time being until there was a resolution.  I made it clear that if she were to eventually be found responsible, then I could no longer consider her eligible to apply.  If she were found not responsible, however, I told her I would consider her application just as if there had never been an academic integrity violation charge in the first place (which I would be absolutely obligated to do at that point, according to our university rules and policies).  The student understood, but soon after she elected to withdraw her application on her own, and I was never made aware of the outcome of her case.

There is an important ethics component as part of our training, and it is very rare that one of our student employees fails to meet the standard of not having been found responsible for any academic integrity violations.  I personally don’t think that’s an unfair or unreasonable expectation, especially given the nature of the work we do with students, and particularly since we present our tutors, SILs, and coaches as “model students” whose habits and behaviors are worthy of emulation.

Bruce Epps
Director, Academic Success
Blackmore Library 205
Capital University
1 College and Main
Columbus, Ohio  43209-2394
Ph. (614) 236-6461
Fax (614) 236-6728
www.capital.edu/academic-success/
Schedule tutoring appointments at tutortrac.capital.edu

From: Supplemental Instruction Discussion List <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Heather Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:17 AM
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Academic Integrity of SI Leaders

Greetings, Colleagues-

I am curious if any programs incorporate academic integrity as a factor in SI leader hiring decisions. Specifically, if your program evaluates this aspect of candidates’ qualifications, would you share your program policy and/or process for checking candidates’ misconduct violations?  I would also appreciate any general thoughts on including this factor in hiring decisions.

Kind regards,
Heather

Heather D. Porter, M.Ed.
Assistant Director
Center for Student Achievement
Salisbury University
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> 410-677-4865

International Mentor Training Program Certification Coordinator
College Reading & Learning Association
www.crla.net<http://www.crla.net>

To search past discussions on the SI-Net, visit our archive at http://groups.google.com/group/si-net

You are subscribed to the SINET list as [log in to unmask]
Problems or questions should be directed to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

November 2020
October 2020
September 2020
August 2020