Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Suggestions For Idle Tutors

Matthew Kemp <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 Jun 2016 17:21:24 +0000

text/plain

Here's a list of some activities/things we have our tutors do during the down times. (And I completely commiserate with the slow summer comment. Same here as well!)

*Create learning materials for the office: powerpoints, handouts, etc. The MLA just went to a new edition, so we'll have some folks working on updating our current MLA handouts/etc. We also have powerpoints for various class visits and campus presentations that occasionally need to be updated with new/current info and pics

*Look into research they might want to complete. I encourage our tutors to find interests they have that align with tutoring centers and work on projects they can submit to conferences/publications. Last year, one tutor helped me work on a research project for tutoring and self-efficacy (he is a pysch major). Currently, one tutor is working on research to look at online tutoring.

*General office maintenance: sharpening pencils, cleaning cubicles, organizing and inventorying all of our textbooks.

*Brainstorm topics they'd like to present at our monthly trainings. We generally have one person do a short presentation at each training. Usually, this includes making a handout and a powerpoint/prezi for the group.

*Schedule class visits for the office. We try to blitz most of the intro level science, math, and English courses each semester. We email professors and ask if they'd like us to come visit their classes and give our short 5min spiel about our services. Any of our subject specific tutors are encouraged to email professors teaching intro classes in that field as well. For example, we currently have a psych major working in our office, so last week he emailed all the pysch professors teaching the intro psych course and has visited a few of their classes.

*Brainstorm events the center can participate in or host on campus.

*Write short blog posts or entries for our social media pages.

Hope some of these help!

Best Regards,

Matthew Kemp

Writing Student Services Coordinator