]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  June 2016

SOCNET June 2016

New open access book: Social Media in Northern Chile (UCL Why We Post)

Alison Major <[log in to unmask]>

Alison Major <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Jun 2016 05:51:49 -0400

text/plain

***************Apologies for any cross-posting*************

UCL Press is delighted to announce the publication of an open access book that may be of
interest to members of this list: Social Media in Northern Chile.

Social Media in Northern Chile (Why We Post series)

Download free: http://bit.ly/25JjTMO

This title available in both a free open access edition and also in print (paperback, £15.00
| hardback, £35.00).

Based on 15 months of ethnographic research in the city of Alto Hospicio in northern
Chile, this book describes how the residents use social media, and the consequences of
this use in their daily lives. Nell Haynes argues that social media is a place where Alto
Hospicio’s residents – or Hospiceños – express their feelings of marginalisation that result
from living in city far from the national capital, and with a notoriously low quality of life
compared to other urban areas in Chile.

In actively distancing themselves from residents in cities such as Santiago, Hospiceños
identify as marginalised citizens, and express a new kind of social norm. Yet Haynes finds
that by contrasting their own lived experiences with those of people in metropolitan
areas, Hospiceños are strengthening their own sense of community and the sense of
normativity that shapes their daily lives. This exciting conclusion is illustrated by the
range of social media posts about personal relationships, politics and national citizenship,
particularly on Facebook.

Download a free open access copy: http://bit.ly/25JjTMO

About Why We Post

Why do we post on social media? Is it true that we are replacing face-to-face
relationships with on-screen life? Are we becoming more narcissistic with the rise of
selfies? Does social media create or suppress political action, destroy privacy or become
the only way to sell something? And are these claims equally true for a factory worker in
China and an IT professional in India?

With these questions in mind, nine anthropologists each spent 15 months living in
communities in China, Brazil, Turkey, Chile, India, England, Italy and Trinidad. They
studied not only platforms but the content of social media to understand both why we
post and the consequences of social media on our lives. Their findings indicate that social
media is more than communication – it is also a place where we now live.

This series explores and compares the results in a collection of ground-breaking and
accessible ethnographic studies. To find out more, visit http://www.ucl.ac.uk/why-we-
post

About UCL Press

UCL Press is the UK's first fully open access university press. Re-established at UCL in
2015, UCL Press publishes peer-reviewed scholarly monographs, edited collections,
textbooks and journals, by both UCL academics and non-UCL academics. All its books are
made available as free, downloadable PDFs from its website, as well as in print for sale
through retailers at affordable prices, and many of its books are also made available on a
free, enhanced, browser-based platform. Its mission is to make its published outputs
available to a global audience, irrespective of their ability to pay. Find out more at
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/ucl-press.