Re: Twitter Tie Criteria

Moses Boudourides <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 19 Jun 2016 21:39:46 +0300

text/plain

Hi Ian,

I'm not sure if what I'm going to say answers your question, but I was
wondering whether you could consider focusing on all the tweets of
your dataset and measuring "happiness" on the text of each tweet,
independently if it is a reply, a mention, an RT or anything. Of
course, in this way, you don't have a proper network, unless you want
to filter out just the RTs and the mentions, in which case you will do
have a directed graph, or you would be pleased to consider some sort
of a two-mode network (for instance, Twitter users and hashtags or any
sort of Twitter "events," which may be automatically extracted from
your Twitter data by searching for specific terms or keywords or doing
Topic Modeling to detect their important categories).

I'm doing some sort of similar analysis on a big dataset of tweets
about the issue of Global Refugees during the last 8 months (since
October 2015) and although it is an ongoing work I might send you the
link to the Beaker Notebook where you could see our preliminary
computations and visualizations. As a matter of fact, in what concerns
hedonometrics, we're simply doing sentiment analysis (through NLTK's
TextBlob) and we are measuring the scores of polarity and
subjectivity.

Best,

--Moses