]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SOCNET Home

SOCNET  July 2016

SOCNET July 2016

3rd Computational Social Science Winter Symposium in Cologne Nov 30 - Dec 01

"Strohmaier, Markus" <[log in to unmask]>

Strohmaier, Markus

Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:30:50 +0200

text/plain

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to point you to the following event this December, and I
would be thrilled to meet you in Cologne this Winter. We already have an
exciting list of invited speakers!

best wishes,
Markus Strohmaier

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (POSTERS & SHORT PRESENTATIONS)

3rd COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE WINTER SYMPOSIUM

Cologne, Germany

Symposium dates: Nov 30 - DEC 01, 2016

Website: http://www.gesis.org/css-wintersymposium/

Hashtag: #cssws16

ABOUT THE WINTER SYMPOSIUM

The CSS Winter Symposium 2016 will be a two-day event consisting of:

* an exciting program featuring a series of invited talks that will
provide different perspectives on current advances and limitations of
computational social science
* an open call for contributed posters and short presentations that will
provide opportunities for computational social scientists to present and
discuss their own work
* plenty of possibilities for interdisciplinary networking including an
informal evening event at the famous Cologne Christmas markets

-------------------------
IMPORTANT DATES
-------------------------

September 30 2016:	submissions due

October 18 2016:	notifications

November 14 2016: 	registration deadline

Nov 30 - Dec 01 2016:	symposium days

SUBMISSIONS FOR POSTERS + SHORT PRESENTATIONS

We invite submissions that describe research results or tools and
methods for computational social science.

Exemplary topics for submissions include but are not limited to:

- Theories and models explaining the dynamics in social systems,
networks, communities and teams
- Studies of political discourse and spread of opinions, attitudes and
information on the web
- Studies of cultures and conflicts, segregation, discrimination,
prejudice via new kinds of data
- Social-/Computational aspects of health, life style, sports and diet
- Social-/Computational aspects of human movement, mobility and urban
planning
- Mixed methods and techniques (e.g. obtrusive/unobtrusive methods)
- Methods to deal with biased, selective and incomplete observational
data on the Web
- Tools that detect and prevent mobbing or depressive behavior online
- Tools that support social scientists to capture, store and analyze
social data on the Web
- Methods for the design and execution of online experiments for the
social sciences

Other related topics are explicitly welcome.

---------------------------
PRESENTATION FORMATS
---------------------------

Based on the submitted abstracts, submissions may be accepted as posters
and/or short presentations. The standard format will be a poster
presentation. As this is a single track conference, only few submissions
can be selected for short plenary presentations of approx. 10-15 minutes.

---------------------------
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
---------------------------

Submissions should be 1-2 page abstracts (up to approx. 1000 words)
summarizing the work to be presented. We encourage researchers to also
submit mature work that has already been published and/or submit
work-in-progress. Accepted submissions will be non-archival, i.e. there
are no proceedings. We may however discuss options for publishing
selected submissions after the conference (e.g. as a journal special
issue or edited collection).

Submissions will mostly be evaluated based on relevance and the
potential to stimulate interesting discussions.

Authors are kindly requested to submit a PDF file via the easychair
submission system for the event:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cssws16

The full call for submissions can also be found at:
http://www.gesis.org/css-wintersymposium/call/

----------------------------
ORGANIZATION AND VENUE
----------------------------

The CSS Winter Symposium will take place at the heart of Cologne, at
KOMED Im MediaPark 7.

We aim to keep registration costs as low as possible (approx. around 70
EUR). More information will be made available soon.
Paper/poster submission is not a requirement for attendance. PLEASE
NOTE: Unfortunately we cannot take responsibility for support on visa
related issues.

------------
CONTACT
------------

SYMPOSIUM CHAIRS:
-----------------

Prof. Dr. Markus Strohmaier
GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Computational Social Science Department
Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8
D-50667 Köln
Germany
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: +49 (221) 47694-225

Dr. Katrin Weller
GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Computational Social Science Department
Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8
D-50667 Köln
Germany
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Phone: +49 (221) 47694-472

LOCAL ORGANIZATION:

Diana Lindner, M.A.
GESIS Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences
Computational Social Science Department
Unter Sachsenhausen 6-8
D-50667 Köln
Germany