Re: Network Data Collection Platforms

"Kennedy, David" <[log in to unmask]>

Kennedy, David

Fri, 28 Oct 2016 17:29:29 +0000

text/plain

Yes, if I am also interpreting Tom's needs correctly, it sounds exactly like something that EgoWeb can do.

Here is a better link for EgoWeb info:

http://egoweb.wikispaces.com/EgoWeb+2.0+Home

That RAND link is not being updated regularly unfortunately, so I created that wiki for greater ease in updating documentation.

You can upload a roster of names and email addresses and allow for names to auto-complete when a respondent is typing a name.  So if the respondent types the letter "a" all the names with an "a" show up then the list gets shorter as they add other letters.  They can keep typing or click on the name that they are looking for.  You can force them to only pick from the roster or allow them to add names not on the roster.

As for the numeric export, for multiple choice type questions, each response option text that appears on the screen during interviewing is associated with a number and this number is what is exported into a .csv file. (Text entry questions export text obviously.)

The software is free, open source, and available on github:

https://github.com/qualintitative/egoweb

Someone just found a bug in the roster auto complete feature that we fixed, so this update is currently in the dev branch.  We will move the changes to the master branch once we test a few other bug fixes.

Tom, let me know if you still have other questions or if you would like to discuss. And, yes, if EgoWeb does not do what you want let me know what that is so that I can add that to the list of things we are trying to add to the platform.

dave

David P. Kennedy
RAND Corporation
(310) 393-0411, Ext. 6133