Skip repetitive navigational links

Re: Identifying Tutors

Susana Brower <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 5 Dec 2016 12:26:51 -0500

text/plain

Hi Jennifer,

The tutors and, in fact, all student workers at our center, wear their ID
cards on school lanyards. This way, even if their name isn't visible if they
happen to be sitting at a desk (and usually, they're not), they're wearing
something different from the average student who walks through the doors.
Not all program ID cards include employee photos, however, and this may be
something we need to correct.

Student staff are required to put their lanyards on the moment they walk
through the door and leave them on until they leave. We do that, in part,
for security reasons, since no visitors (including students accessing
services) are allowed back into the staff office unless accompanied by an
Academic Resource Center employee.

Good luck!

-Susana

Susana Brower, M.A.
Assistant Coordinator, Tutorial Assistance Program
Academic Resource Center
156 Surge Building
UC, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Voice (951) 827-5345   Fax (951) 827-4543

When I was a tutor as an undergraduate, we used brightly colored vests in
our drop-in program. While they were useful in a large tutoring area in the
library so that we could be identified, the vests smelled after a while and
were uncomfortable. That being said, as soon as I returned to run the
tutoring program, I got rid of the vests (they're actually hiding in a
closet somewhere...) and we ordered professional nametags for the tutors. I
should note that I had moved tutoring from the library into our learning
center, so the vests were less necessary. The tutors also use very large,
bold, colored signs based on the tutoring course(s), as Michele noted. I
believe the center has now also implemented t-shirts which say tutor on the
back. The tutors are given one or two for free and are able to purchase
additional shirts.

At a previous institution, the tutors had one-on-one appointments for
tutoring and we had a check-in station. Thus, the tutors did not need to be
as readily visible and only wore nametags.

Justine Chasmar
Academic Coordinator
Academic Success Center
1956 ASC Building