Help for INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L@LISTS.UFL.EDU

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Home

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Home

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L  2017

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L 2017

Re: August Carpentry workshop organization

Matthew Collins <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion of teaching informatics skills <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:40:43 +0000

text/plain

And happy Monday,

From the responses I've gotten, I think we have the capacity to hold two concurrent workshops on Monday-Tuesday Aug 14-15. I propose:

@UFII - Python-based Software Carpentry
@Libraries - R-based Data Carpentry

I would also like to propose Friday 8/18 as a non-Carpentry workshop that is just the Software Carpentry R lesson and nothing else. This lesson has about 12 hours of material so it would have to be trimmed a bunch to fit in 6 hours but I think all topics can be touched on in that time. I do however need someone else to organize this workshop since I have another commitment on Friday.

I have made a signup sheet for those of you who can participate. Please put your name next to whatever roles you can do even if there is already a name there. This includes the "organizer" role, which is not very hard:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wvxiUbRGGO0t6CU-ms63nH_2KN27BhPsgSxCF3XUleg/edit?usp=sharing

A proposed timeline:

Friday 7/21 - settle on organizers and instructors
Wed 7/26 - start setting up registration pages and workshop pages
Fri 7/28 - promotional material and UFII web site pages up
Mon 7/31 - put events on UFII  calendar to make publicly known
Wed 8/2 - open registration

Thank you everyone for your willingness to help and I'm looking forward to the these workshops!

Matthew Collins
Technical Operations Manager
University of Florida
352-392-5414