Help for INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L@LISTS.UFL.EDU

Message:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

Previous

Next

Last

]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Home

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L Home

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L  2017

INFORMATICS-TEACHING-L 2017

Introduction - Postdoc interested in gathering Carpentries teaching experience

Philipp Boersch-Supan <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion of teaching informatics skills <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Aug 2017 17:01:26 -0400

text/plain

Hello everyone,

I am a postdoc at UF Geography with a broad interest in applied
statistics and research software development.
I was excited to read on twitter that the Weecology lab was planning
further Carpentries workshops at UF, and as I am currently going through
the Carpentries instructor certification process, I wanted to take this
opportunity to briefly introduce myself, and broadcast my interest in
gaining experience as a helper or co-instructor in future Carpentries
workshops.

Researchwise I am a marine ecologist with an interest in the foraging
ecology and life-history choices of open ocean predators (penguins,
albatrosses, elephant seals).  I currently focus on Bayesian inference
for differential equation models of animal bioenergetics. Other previous
and ongoing work covers a wide range of statistical modelling approaches
for ecological data. I am a proficient R programmer (9 years of
experience, maintainer of two CRAN packages), work a fair bit with SQL
databases, and make some use of C/C++ code within R.

Teachingwise, I was lead instructor for a graduate level Biometry class
at USF Tampa this Spring - part of which was based on Software Carpentry
materials - and have TA'd or guest lectured in a range of
Biostatistics/mathematics and ecology classes.  I am confident to teach
R, unix command line, git, and SQL material, and I would love to put
that into practice in future workshops at UF, or elsewhere in Central
Florida.

Anyways, that's it from me for now. Do feel free to get in touch if you
are looking for helpers or co-instructors by email or on twitter (@pboesu).

Have a good evening!
Philipp

--

Dr Philipp Boersch-Supan

Department of Geography, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
and
Department of Integrative Biology, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL

web: http://pboesu.github.io
twitter/github/bitbucket: @pboesu