LINUX-L 2017

Re: Docopt

"N.J. Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 18 Jan 2017 10:30:42 -0800

text/plain

* Allen S. Rout <[log in to unmask]> [2017-01-18 08:41:55-0500]:
> As an aside, he talked a bit about docopt, which kinda rocked my world.
[...]
> Write the -usage message- for your command line script. And the docopt
> library treats that as options parsing configuration.

At the last place where I worked, I had a coworker who swore by docopt.
We both wrote in Python, but I could never be bothered to switch over to
it because I was so used to argparse.

For the record, I'm not sure argparse is fundamentally better than
docopt, but it is in the Python standard library, and I write a lot of
scripts that make heavy use of subcommands, but docopt seems to be able
to handle them fine (afaict from the docs), so it's just momentum that's
prevented me from switching to something else I think.

Also see Click for a similar Python implementation:

    http://click.pocoo.org/5/

And see this guy's blog post where he compares Python command-line
parsing libraries:

    https://realpython.com/blog/python/comparing-python-command-line-parsing-libraries-argparse-docopt-click/

Thomas