Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

LINUX-L Home

LINUX-L  2017

LINUX-L 2017

Job Opportunity for ACIS/iDigBio - Systems Administrator/Programmer III

"Stoner, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 24 Feb 2017 19:52:17 +0000

text/plain

*Apologies if you are seeing this more than once. Please share in your tech circles if you are aware of people who might be interested.*

OFFICIAL JOB POST:

Systems Administrator/Programmer III

http://explore.jobs.ufl.edu/cw/en-us/job/501480/systems-administratorprogrammer-iii

The official job post and application is at the above jobs link but I am including more info here from my own perspective. This should hopefully answer most of the questions that people might have about this position which is located in Gainesville, Florida.

OVERVIEW:

Job Opportunity for a Systems Administrataor/Programmer III in the Advanced Computing and Information Systems (ACIS) Laboratory at the University of Florida to work on iDigBio, the National Resource for Advancing Digitization of Biodiversity Collections funded by the National Science Foundation. Integrated Digitized Biocollections (iDigBio) enables data of millions of biological specimens to be used by the research community, government agencies, students, educators, and the general public.

Within the Univeristy of Florida, ACIS is housed under the Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) which is part of the College of Engineering. The ACIS Lab conducts fundamental and applied research on all aspects of systems that integrate computing and information processing. Current ACIS research falls under the broad categories of Cloud Computing, Cyberinfrastructure for e-science and e-health, Autonomic Computing, Computer Architecture, and Peer-to-peer Computing.

ACIS is responsible for implementing the Cyberinfrastructure components of iDigBio.

Links:

ACIS - https://www.acis.ufl.edu

iDigBio - https://www.idigbio.org/

IDIGBIO TECH AND ENVIRONMENT:

ACIS implements the servers, storage, databases, and software for the National Resource. We have a large footprint of Linux and Python but generally try to choose the best tool for the job (e.g. Elasticsearch happens to run in Java). We dabble in DevOps and recently moved to a Continuous Integration (CI) model for some of our services with Docker, Jenkins, Foreman, and Salt.

Due to the size and complexity of the biodiversity data (currently 480+ million rows in our largest data table, 930+ individual datasets, 18.5+ million media objects), we run into challenges that smaller projects might blissfully ignore. This environment gives opportunities to experiment with new tech in meaningful ways and to leverage open source projects to maximal benefit.

The iDigBio architecture includes the following technologies:

Node.js (Express, React, Leaflet, ...)
Python (Flask, Celery, ...)
PostgreSQL, Redis, Elasticsearch
Ceph (S3-compatible API)

A view of the iDigBio Specimen Portal showing some nice herbaria sheets:

https://www.idigbio.org/portal/search?rq={%22recordset%22:%22781fd581-7b93-471e-a025-413e4bcd8491%22}&view=media

A view of a fly specimen's images:

https://www.idigbio.org/portal/mediarecords/33680c02-68d0-4f2e-90e8-e73d40c043dc

We open source as much of our project code as possible. For example, the specimen portal's code repository is on github:

https://github.com/iDigBio/idb-portal

TO APPLY:

Applications *MUST* be submitted through the University of Florida jobs website listed at the beginning of this post. This is a grant-funded position.