LINUX-L 2017

Cox Business Internet and "Cox Wi-fi"

Bill Merriam <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 May 2017 13:17:08 -0400

text/plain

I am going to cross post this to hackerspace so you might get it twice.

I am hoping to find a small business owner, or someone who supports IT
for that small business owner, and has Cox Business Internet and can
answer a few questions.  You can stop reading now if you want.

I have noticed that "Cox Wi-fi" is available at lots of businesses
around town and I am wondering if I can recommend to other businesses
that they install it.  To try to figure that out I talked to several
people in Sales for Cox Business Internet (CBI) to get technical
information and pricing.  To summarize, they haven't a clue.

I then talked to a Sales Engineer.  That went better but he still
doesn't understand the details.

To give you an idea of what I am looking for I have questions like this:

What Customer Premises Equipment do you provide?

Does the CPE manufacturer routinely provide security fixes to the
firmware and does Cox promptly install those?

How does wifi guest access impact the performance and security of my
point of sale or other business IT systems?

If the people that support my IT systems want to gain remote access
through a VPN what protocol is used and it is secure?

It surprised me that they don't know the answers to these questions.
They think cisco provides the CPE but cisco got out of the CPE business
two years ago.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/about/corporate-strategy-office/acquisitions/technicolor.html
http://www.technicolor.com/en/who-we-are/press-news-center/press-releases/technicolor-completes-acquisition-cisco-connected-devices-division
http://www.technicolor.com/en/solutions-services/connected-home/cisco-connected-devices

If they don't  know who makes the CPE I can't believe any claims made
about it.

The provided CPE documentation on VPN says they support PPTP, which is
very obsolete, and IPSEC with PSK, which is strongly discouraged.  Their
IPSEC implementation claims to use SHA1 or MD5 both of which are
deprecated.  Either the documentation is obsolete or the CPE firmware
is.

I have lots of other questions but that gives you and idea of who I want
to talk to.  Please give me a name if you know someone who can help me.

Thanks.
Bill