LINUX-L 2017

xorg memory leak

Eben King <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:17:20 -0400

text/plain

Does anyone have a workaround (or better yet, a fix) for the memory leak in
xorg having to do with copying bitmaps?  This bug doesn't affect all
distros, but unfortunately mine (Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS) is affected.  I pretty
much eliminated its effects by setting mplayer to use vo=xv instead of
vo=x11, and telling xscreensaver to use "Blank Screen Only" instead of a
display.  Still, certain web pages trigger the leak, and I'm sure it happens
a bit in normal operation.

xorg, when I restart it, uses around 300 MiB RAM.  By the time I got fed up
and restarted it, it had swelled to about 8 GiB, or half my RAM.

https://www.google.com/#q=xorg+%22memory+leak%22+bitmap

Some sites recommend setting GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1, but if it's set Chrome
prints a nastygram about it being unsupported and Firefox hangs/crashes.

--
-eben   [log in to unmask]
I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defen-